30

The next day, Rosalis visited Edmund, having been fully healed of her battle scars. Edmund sat in his throne, drumming his fingers on one armrest. Rosalis stopped in front of him and clasped her armoured hands behind her back.

"What is it that I actually do?" The king asked her. "I know that I am in charge of the kingdom and its people, but surely, there has to be more than that. I can't just sit here until I die."

"You have to take care of affairs." Rosalis replied. "You need to use the money collected from taxes to make the kingdom a better place. You oversee everything, from giving blessings for weddings, to observing and passing the sentence for an execution. If there is no business, then you can do whatever you like. You are the king after all. I suggest that you go hunting. Wild boar is quite the delicacy."

Edmund nodded, agreeing. "Hunting it is then." Without waiting, he grabbed a crossbow and Rosalis accompanied him as he went out.

Rosalis and Edmund snuck about the forest at the other side of the kingdom, trying not to alert their prey. A wild boar hobbled into view and Edmund took aim. Rosalis looked at him. "Keep your aim steady." She said to him quietly. "Don't rush. Aim for its major organs if you can."

Edmund let the arrow fly and suddenly, it embedded itself into one of the boar's eyes. It collapsed to the ground, not even giving one squeal. Rosalis' eyes widened in surprise.

"Well done. I couldn't have done that better myself."

Edmund chuckled and gave a modest shrug.

Having brought back their prize, Edmund and Rosalis proceeded to prepare a small feast for the knights of Frinnor in return for them protecting the kingdom and managing to live through the war. Within some hours, giant plates of food were presented and jugs of wine were placed down. The roasted boar was placed in the middle of the table, glazed in honey and adorned with spices, an apple in its mouth. Rosalis sat next to Edmund as she ate a slice of the boar. She glanced over at him. "Don't drink so much." She advised him. Edmund waved a hand.

"It will be fine." He said as he poured himself another chalice of wine.

Dawn had broken and the entire hall was in a shambles. Goblets and plates were strewn everywhere, food decorated the place, the boar was nothing but bare bones, not a scrap of meat in sight. Edmund laid on the floor, hungover from the night of drinking. His crown hung from the rail of the throne. Slowly but surely, he stirred awake. Suddenly, he went for a bucket and dunked his head inside it, vomiting his guts up. Rosalis entered the hall, clad in her armour once more. She looked at the sick king and then turned around, walking out. She soon came back, holding a mug of mint tea. Edmund, still on the floor, reached his hand up, taking it and then looked at it, sniffed it suspiciously. Rosalis pointed to him.

"Drink. You'll feel better."

Edmund stood up slightly shakily and then looked around the hall, muttering to himself. He sipped the tea. Rosalis turned around and looked down at the bucket of red wine vomit. She looked at Edmund.

"I did try to warn you."

"Sorry." He said groggily. "I should have listened."

"You still have a long way to go." She said as she walked away, going to fetch the servants.

By the afternoon, Edmund was sober. He looked at his herald and custodian. "What business is there?" He asked her.

"None, as far as I am concerned."

"Excellent."

And so, Edmund and Rosalis strolled about the kingdom and visited the villagers as they greeted their new king. Edmund entered the knights barracks and looked about. The knights present suddenly stood at attention.

"Is there anything that we can help you with, my lord?" One of them asked.

"No, no." Edmund said quickly. "Just checking that everything is in order. You may go back to your duties."

The knights all nodded and went back to their tasks.