20

Rosalis accompanied Edmund wherever he went, always being by his side. She was his custodian after all, being responsible for his safety and protection. Edmund stopped in place and she did also, reacting. He turned and looked at her.

"Take a rest." He said. "Go to the tavern or something. You have done enough for today."

Without asking, Rosalis inclined her head in a small bow. "Thank you, my lord." She said and then turned around, leaving him. She walked down the corridors and went outside. A man walked by her, dressed entirely in a hooded black cloak. She looked at him as he walked by her, but kept going forward, taking no notice. She kept walking for some hundred metres and then suddenly stopped herself in place. She closed her eyes in frustration and cursed quietly to herself. Siege weapons. There was no doubt that Wolfgrimm would have some firepower with himself, so they would need to counter his attacks with their own. She spun back around and went back the way that she had come.

Rosalis stepped into Edmund's chambers and saw him looking outside at the kingdom. She then saw the hooded assassin right behind him, his dagger raised in the air. Quickly and silently, she drew her sword out and crept up behind him. Wasting no time at all, she stabbed the assassin through the throat. Edmund gasped and immediately turned around, feeling the point of Rosalis' sword on his neck. He saw the assassin in front of him drop his dagger to the floor, the blood stained sword protruding out from his neck. Blood ran from his mouth, himself choking on it. Rosalis brought the assassin to the floor and then drew her sword out. "Who sent you?!" She furiously asked him. The assassin did not say a word as he quickly bled out, dying within seconds. Edmund looked down at the assassin's corpse in shock but then then quickly composed himself, sighing heavily. He looked at his custodian.

"No doubt it was Wolfgrimm." He said. "It seems that he is trying to gain an advantage."

Rosalis looked up at her king as he sighed solemnly. "The kingdom has to prepare for war immediately."