29

Edmund dressed himself in blue royal robes that his father had saved for him, when the day would finally come. They were a perfect fit. Edmund stared at himself in the mirror and then sighed heavily, forcing himself to face the destiny that had so long awaited him.

Edmund made his way down the hall of the palace and stood on the balcony, presenting himself to the entire Kingdom of Frinnor. The gigantic crowd all stared at him, eagerly awaiting the arrival of their new king. Rosalis arrived on time, clad in a white ceremonial cape. She proceeded with administering the oath, to which Edmund agreed to all. A pair of servants stood by Rosalis' side, one carrying the crown, the other the orb and sceptre. Taking the orb and the sceptre, Rosalis handed Edmund the items and he took them. She took the crown and held it up into the air. "By the power vested in me, and with God as my witness, I now crown you king Edmund III. Ruler of Frinnor. Protector of man, woman and child." She slowly and carefully placed the crown onto Edmund's head and then stood back, turned to the crowd. "Long live the king!"

"Long live the king!" The crowd echoed.

Rosalis stepped into her room and stripped herself off her armour. She placed it onto the stand and then sat down onto her bed, laid onto it and stared up at the ceiling. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Rosalis groaned as she got up, her body still healing its battle wounds, and then trudged over to the door. Grasping the handle, she opened it and Edmund stood there. She inclined her head in a bow. "My lord."

"I never got the chance to properly thank you for your brave and noble endeavour." Edmund said. "I do not know what would have happened if Wolfgrimm succeeded in his plot."

Rosalis smiled. "Just doing what I can to make sure that this kingdom lives on."

"Indeed. But it is now finally over. We are at peace once more."

They both stayed quiet for a couple and moments and then Edmund cleared his throat. "You had best get some rest. You have been through a lot."

Rosalis nodded and Edmund went along his way. Closing the door, Rosalis made her way back to her bed and laid onto it. She stared at the ceiling and then some moments later, she was fast asleep.

A physician kneeled by Rosalis, healing her multiple wounds. A bite wound to the shin, multiple scars on the face, stab wounds in the arm, chest and knee and a large wound from a horn in her hand. The poor girl had been through too much. The sleeping custodian did not even stir from her slumber and continued to snooze away, not having the strength to even open her eyes. Having finished with his job, the physician quietly crept away.

Edmund visited Rosalis once more, quietly entering the room. He saw her standing at a window staring outside, her arms crossed. He walked up to her. "Are you feeling alright?" He asked.

"Why am I still alive?" She suddenly questioned.

"What do you mean?" Then, within a nanosecond, it clicked, and then he realised. The war, the casualties, the loss of Edmund. Rosalis spun towards him, tears running down her cheeks.

"I'm broken!" She suddenly yelled, breaking down. She grabbed Edmund, wrapping him in a hug, sobbing into his shoulder. Edmund returned the gesture and stroked her back.

"You're stronger than you know." He told her gently. "You survived. We won. At least there is that to count on. Come on, you have to pull yourself together, I need you more than you need me."

Rosalis looked up at him as he wiped away her tears. He nodded up to her.

"Rest now. I need you to guide me through all of this."

She nodded through a cracked, broken smile and trudged over to her bed, shuffling into it. Edmund looked at her sadly and then walked out, quietly closing the door behind himself.

Midnight had fallen upon the kingdom and Rosalis crept through the crypts, making her way out of the castle. She stepped outside and made her way to the lake. Making sure that there was no one about, she sat down at the bank and stared at the fireflies as they lit up the sky and listened to the crickets as they chirped. She sighed, a small smile on her face, content.