28

Rosalis made her way through the war-torn castle and climbed down a flight off spiral stairs, making her way into the dungeon. She opened the door and walked inside, looked around. It was there that she spotted Edmund's wife and son, Elspeth and Edmund. Elspeth sat on the floor, her back against the wall. She was clutching at a large stab wound in her chest. Blood pumped out onto her sodden dress with every beat of her heart. Suddenly, she gave a sigh and slipped away, her hand falling from her wound. Edmund slumped his head down and wept silently. He wiped away his tears and then stood up, turned to Rosalis.

"I demand to know where my father is." He said sternly. Rosalis saw no point in sugar coating the news.

"He died fighting Wolfgrimm."

"No!" Edmund raged, his roar of anguish echoing through the dungeon. He suddenly kicked a door open, breaking it off of its hinges and took a torch from its bracket, throwing it down onto the ground. Rosalis stood in place calmly. Edmund turned to her, tears running down his cheeks. "You were supposed to protect him!" He yelled. "You were his custodian!"

"I'm sorry, my lord."

Edmund looked at her oddly and then wiped the tears away from his face. "My lord?" He repeated.

"You are the only surviving heir and as of this moment, you are the king of Frinnor. You are now Edmund III. Not officially, we will need the archbishop to crown you." Rosalis explained. Edmund stood in place, his face in shock, himself trying to take it all in. Not being able to, he collapsed to his knees. Rosalis quickly stepped over to him and grabbed him before he fell face flat onto the floor. She got down onto one knee and looked at him solemnly. "Your parents were great rulers. You can follow in their footsteps and allow Frinnor to live for centuries more, protecting it from tyrants like Wolfgrimm."

Edmund looked up at her. "But that was you." He pointed out. "You were the one that defeated him. You were the one that embarked on the quest to prevent the war."

Rosalis sighed. "Then follow in my footsteps. I'm afraid that I will not live much longer on this earth to guide you further. You will have to find someone else."

Edmund did not say anything for the longest time.

"My lord?"

"No." He said suddenly.

"I'm sorry?"

"I want to give you the honour of crowning me."

Rosalis shook her head. "I am only your custodian, it is not in my authority to crown you king."

"In some hours, I will be crowned king, and I want you to be the one that places the crown on my head, not the archbishop."

Rosalis bowed her head. "It would be an honour."

Edmund smiled.

Rosalis sat in her chambers, polishing her armour, getting rid of the numerous dried bloodstains on it. Bells began to ring, echoing through the entire kingdom. She merely gave a single sigh. Suddenly, it all came crashing down onto her and she broke down in tears.

Rosalis and Edmund, stood in front of the crowd at the cathedral, being present for the funeral of Edmund II and Elspeth. The monks pulled down onto the giant ropes, ringing the bells of the cathedral, allowing their bongs to echo through the entire kingdom.