57

Rosalis prepared a feast for the killers and they sat at the long table, chatting and laughing. Crazy Eyes Jake tore off a leg from a roast chicken and showed it to the rest of the killers. He suddenly dug his jaws into it and tore all of the meat off, leaving just the bare bone. The killers cheered and some sat there, amazed at the impressive feat. Averill and Orion simultaneously grabbed their full tankards of beer and proceeded to gulp it down, racing one another. Orion smacked his empty tankard down and everyone cheered as he let out a thunderous burp. Jaxon chuckled and then looked at Rosalis solemnly.

"You are doing amazingly well, all things considered." He told her gently. "Uliraf would be pleased."

She smiled. "I know." She raised her goblet and so did Jaxon. They smacked them together and took a single gulp of their wine.

The next morning, Rosalis stood up from the bed and stretched her back, clicked her neck both ways, groaning almost in pleasure. She changed into her armour and placed the crown onto her head, the position of queen still in her power. Suddenly, the door opened up and she looked at her custodian and herald.

"You must follow me, now." He told her urgently. Without asking one question, she did so. He led her to a dungeon beneath the palace.

"What is happening?" She finally asked.

"The knights from Frinnor are after you."

"It will be no problem, I have the killers."

"The regent king has sent out all of the knights. We are outnumbered by one and a half times."

"Then Wolfholde needs to be defended. It's what Uliraf would have wanted. We will need to kill any enemy knight in our way."

"But they were your friends."

"Were my friends. They are not anymore. We are enemies now."

"Are you still pursuing after your vendetta?"

"They killed my husband and are not going to get away with it."

"So you will just go on with this mindless slaughter?"

"Yes, I will. If you will try and stop me, I shall have you executed for questioning my morals. Do I make myself clear?"

The custodian and herald inclined his head in a bow. "My queen." He looked up at her once more. "Do you have a course of action?"

Rosalis sat down at a chair. "There is none. We will just have to wait for the rest to kill each other off, we will have to do nothing."

"You would sacrifice the lives of your own knights?"

"Yes, I will."

The custodian stood in place, his eyes looking around, himself questioning his own morals. He went to go outside, but Rosalis stopped him, blocking the doorway.

"Where do you think that you are going?"

"I will not sit by and do nothing as two cities slaughter each other over one stubborn, maniacal queen."

Rosalis stood in place, not seeming fazed by the insult. Suddenly, there was the sound of ringing all through the kingdom, the alarm being signalled. "Speak of the devil."

Doyeya sailed into view with an armada of carrack ships, ready to join the fight. One gigantic carrack ship led the armada, complete with four huge sails.

"You have completely lost it." Rosalis' custodian told her.

"Have I?" She asked.

"You have."