chapter 6

Chapter 6

I hurriedly went to the Potions room, reminded by my running the reason I have detention in the first place. I had decided to just wear a warm cardigan and a black skirt. Since I was going to be cleaning the cauldrons and work area, I started to put my hair up in a mid-ponytail to keep it safe. Hair was very valuable in my family.

I barged in the closed-door Potions classroom. As soon as the door hit the wall, I didn't get a second to think or even register what was before me. A furious flying spark came directly at me. A loud gasp escaped from my lips when it hit my chest, sending me a few feet backwards.

"Shit!" Another voice shouted from the inside of the room.

When I had regained full control of myself, I held onto the ledge of the doorway and looked at the person responsible for the streak of light. Fucking hell. I gave him the coldest death stare I mustered up with my furiousness.

"Wood," I tensely greeted.

Oliver was looking at me like he just saw a ghost. He was sitting on one of the tables and still wearing his uniform. Around him, the beakers and glasses were stained and uncleaned. He had his wand pointing directly at me, obviously still starstruck.

"How- what?" He softly stuttered. His hand holding his wand slowly fell to his side as I walked into the room.

I picked up the closest tube glass and observed the moving liquid in it. I shook my head. "Why are you here, Oliver? Came to send me flying off my own two feet?"

"Snape sent me to detention."

I looked at him across the room and raised an eyebrow. "Well then, why is nothing cleaned? Everything seems more dirtier than it had it to be."

Oliver slowly looked around the room, his face slowly turning into a pain. I was right, he didn't clean anything at all. "Shouldn't you be at Quidditch too?" I asked again, making my way towards where he was sat by each table. "Also, why are you in detention?"

I was two tables away from him. Each table I passed by was messier than expected. What do the kids do during Snape's class than do what is needed? Aren't they afraid? I moved to the table he was sitting on and inspected one of the glasses to his side. This one was almost empty. I furrowed my brows, noticing something.

"Oliver..." I looked up at him. He had his lips pressed in a thin line. He was gripping on the edge of the table as his knuckles turned into a colder white. Something was off. I glanced behind him at the cauldron and it was recently used. Recently as in it still was full and the potion was untouched. I snapped my eyes back to him but he still wouldn't look at me. "Were you creating a potion?"

He doesn't answer. I wait. But he doesn't. He looks lost, honestly. His eyes were glued to the floor as his body went numb. I rolled my eyes and I felt a headache coming in soon. The coldness and lack of sleep was causing my pain now.

I harshly nudged his knee which caused him to look at me directly in my eyes. "Why aren't you answering my questions?" I demanded, not breaking eye contact.

"What the hell was that?" He finally spoke.

"The what?"

"I- my spell didn't work."

It was my turn to become white as snow and look anywhere else but at him. I didn't exactly hear what spell he conjured but acting to be affected was always my result when someone tried to hurt me with Earth 71 magic. Because the truth was far too complex to explain through words.

"Mary," He called me by my personal nickname. "Are you immune to magic?"

I suddenly started giggling which caused him to move back. "What silly thought is that?" I continued, looking up at him with a smile. That just scared him more. "Why would I be immune to magic? The real question here is what and why are you making a potion?"