chapter 31

The After

5 YEARS LATER

Time was unconsidered inside a white box like room that didn't seem to have walls or ceilings. All that mattered was the weapon and the opponent. And the person watching every sequence from above. I was equally tired as my opponent in his iron suit, Harley, having fought continually in the last hour. He has sent blast after blast that hit the white room but had not damaged it. I had high voltage electric wired spitting from my hands that tangled his iron suit although it just powered him more. The plan was to overcharge his iron suit, however, with the vibranium mixed material, it seemed impossible to get through the suit without killing the person inside.

From Harley's shoulder, a pack of small ammunition went flying towards me. I dodged it swiftly and hit back with a lightning strike that came from the infinite white ceiling. He barely missed it, causing the lightning to leave a small burn on the floor that quickly dissolved. I did a mid-air cartwheel while Harley's atomic bullet went under me and I landed beside my Asgardian spear that was discarded a while ago. I picked it up and sent a stronger electrical wire through the sharp tip of the spear that hit the arc reactor on Harley's chest – the only place where vibranium was missing.

The dark red iron suit started shaking and emitting smoke, having overcooked its system. I put down the spear, breaking the wire, and watched as Harley helplessly fell to his knees. The white room turned into a dark red glow that signalled the end of training. Harley's messy hair and newly grown beard appeared under the mask with a slight frown looking at me.

"There was no other way," I said with a shrug, helping him up. His suit had scratches and dark spots from being fried. While I, on the other hand, barely had a scratch because Harley doesn't like hand on hand combat.

He stood still for a second, shaking his head in tiredness before walking towards the exit with a limp. I rolled my eyes with a laugh and followed him out, my spear at one hand. Fury, still in his same clothing as a decade ago, was waiting outside with a straight lip. He looked at us and nodded towards the end of the hallway where a white closed door stood.

He led and we followed back inside his office. Nothing has changed. Everything was still white like we were on a spaceship. The second door inside the room closed behind us with the smoke and we sat on the tables in front of Fury's desk. There was nothing on top aside from a circle holographic gadget that was not activated. Fury on the other side looked at us with no emotion, making it hard for me to read.

Although, he spoke clearly. "Not bad from last weeks' trainings. Keener, work on your aim and hand movement. Torres, work on your speed. Keener would've hit you if he had better aim. Continue working and we'll meet here again next week. Same day. Same time. Questions?" We shook our heads. "Leave."

After the hour-session training inside the white room where special agents trained for monitoring and tracking, Harley and I changed into our muggle – no, I mean, changed into our normal clothes and boarded the quinjet. I grabbed a juicebox from a storage box before sitting down on the co-pilot, handing him one as he fixed the jet for take-off.

When we were on air, meeting the sun after what felt like days, we cruised on the clouds. Harley and I have been partners again ever since I had come back. He had told me how I missed his college graduation and I being his partner again, would be my repayment. Harley did solo missions while I was doing auror things, I mean, other things before. It was lonely for him but he took the opportunity to master his skill.

I was alright. That was the best I could say. I wasn't dying at least. And I was smiling from time to time. Therapy? It didn't work for a while until I reconsidered after having a relapse back in New Asgard. Jane and Thor did their best but they were also busy with their own hero jobs. I was alright.