Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Serenity

Vini placed his coat on top of legs, covering it. And I placed my head on his shoulder while drinking fruit tea.

"What? She was adopted?" Vini asked and I nodded.

I took a sip before answering him. "Apparently, her birth mother is the sister of her known mother. Get it? Her mother now is supposed to be her aunt."

"What happened to her birth mother?"

"She died giving birth to her," I said and sighed. "And if you're going to ask about her father, he also died few years ago and she didn't even know."

I actually feel bad for her. Until the death of her father, hindi niya ito nakilala. The odd thing about it is her father. How could he not know that he has a daughter? I mean, he contributed in making her. I don't see any reason why he didn't look for her all these years. Unless, he doesn't know Carrine's existence in the first place.

"Where is Carrine staying now?" Vini asked and I can't help to fix my posture just to glare at him.

He chuckled when he saw my expression. "What?" Natatawang tanong niya sa akin.

I know I should not overreact but my rationale mind is turned off right now, letting my jealous and possessive mind take the lead.

"I don't like how you worry about her. What if I say na sa kalsada siya nakatura ngayon? Are you going to rescue her?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Aren't you?" He retorted.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Then let me do the saving while you stay put."

"What am I? A dog?"

"Nope. You're my babe," tuloy-tuloy na sagot ko, hindi nagpapatalo sa kaniya. But I only realized what I've said seconds after.

I slipped. Again.

Hindi ko alam kung pano pa ako makakakatakas ngayon. We are actually in an open area, just a park near the university.

There is this pathway na paikot while the benches are placed on each side. Behind the benches is the open field. Doon minsan nagpi-picnic yung mga tao kapag umaga. Pwede din naman gabi for star-gazing pero malamok kaya hindi advisable.

But if you have a tent, why not? Malamig din kasi ang hangin dito kapag gabi tska tahimik. May mga iilan na nagbi-bike sa paikot at yung iba naman ay nakatambay lang din tulad namin ni Vini.

This place is for those people who seek peacefulness.

And I'm glad na dito kami dumiretso ni Vini matapos ko makipagkita kay Carrine. He was actually the one who brought me here. And my heart warmed at the gesture.

Speaking of which...

"Uhh, aren't you mad pala? Dahil sa nangyari kanina?" I asked with hesitation.

He stopped sipping his iced coffee and looked at me with confusion. "Huh? Why would I be mad hearing you call me babe?"

My face contorted at hinampas siya. "Vini! Epal naman eh."

Tawa siya nang tawa kaya inirapan ko na siya. I was nervous pa naman kanina pa! He looked at me earlier like he was mad.

"Kidding aside, babe," he said which rendered me speechless.

He called me what? B-babe? I blinked several times before standing up and putting a distance between us. Huminga ako nang malalim bago sinuklay ang nakalugay kong buhok.