Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Confusion 

True to his words, Vini actually stayed by my side but not literally. Hindi rin naman araw-araw ko siyang kasama o kausap. Although I kind of hoped for that, I also readied myself for possible misconceptions. Lalo na ako lang din naman ang nag-assume non.

But it's fine with me. It has to be. He is the only person I'm clinging to right now. I cannot afford to lose him as well. So, this is me, hitting two birds with one stone - I won't be alone, thanks to his presence, and I get to see him more often.

Just like today.

He was busy reading a book in front of me while I was staring at him with my papers scattered around the table. It was purely a coincidence that we met in the library. I went here earlier than him, alright? I feel suffocated in the office that I changed scenery. 

I was shocked to see him when I felt a thick cloth being wrapped around my shoulders - his coat. Kaya naman heto siya sa harapan ko. He is now just wearing a simple long sleeves polo with his thin ribbon tied in his neck as part of his uniform.

"Don't you have class?" Tanong ko. 

Hindi naman sa ayaw ko siyang kasama, I actually like the idea. But not when I'm working because I am easily distracted by him. Kaunting galaw lang niya, napapatingin na agad ako sa kaniya. 

He looked up to me, brows furrowed. "I'm done. Inaantay ko lang yung partner ko para sa presentation namin." I nodded at his response and went back to reading kahit na paulit-ulit lang ako sa binabasa ko.

"Hey, sorry. I went out to eat but I brought food for you, here." Again, I stopped reading when I heard a familiar voice.

"Elizabeth," I called when I saw her. 

Her Amber eyes went to me and it widened. "A-amara..." She stuttered, looking nervous. Then her eyes looked at Vini and back to me. "How do you know each other? I mean, there's a lot of tables available, but you sat together."

I waited for Vini to introduce me as his close friend or something near to that, but he didn't say anything kaya naman ako na lang ang nagsalita. "We know each other, back in Midaestas," I said, pertaining to the schools for civillians.

Elizabeth nodded and smiled at Vini. "Here, my apology drink." The latter accepted the drink and tapped the space beside him.

I just watched them until I felt a familiar ache in my heart. But I am no masochist. They look awfully close together to the point Vini laughs with her. 

This is so petty, Amara. Snap out of it. I tried begging my mind to cooperate but it won't follow me!

When Vini excused himself to get his stuff in their room dahil isasara na ang room nila, I was left with Elizabeth in front of me. She was reading the book that Vini was reading earlier. Then she looked at me, probably because she felt my stares. 

"How are you and Z?" I asked.

"Hmm. Doing good. Just busy with duties and things." Elizabeth and her vague answers na parang ayaw niyang ipaalam kung ano talaga ang nangyayari. "Ah, Amara, have you talked to Izaac?"

My brows automatically raised upon hearing the concern in her voice. But that should not be a big deal, right? She grew up, after all, with my two nephews so it's normal to be concerned for both of them.

"What's with Izaac? I haven't seen him for a while since I was busy with Danae's departure."

She nodded and felt silent afterwards. Vini arrived kaya naman naging busy ulit silang dalawa. I wanted to ask Elizabeth if there is something with Izaac I should be worried about. But it's true that I haven't seen him for a while now. 

Elizabeth's question got me worried. Kaya naman I excused myself to call him. Swerte naman niya at ako pa talaga ang nangamusta sa kanya. "Amara? You called?"

Umirap ako pagkasagot niya. Wala naman pala ako dapat ipagalala eh. He sounded well and goofy. But should I believe those? Words and voice are sometimes deadly especially when you can't see the person physically.

"Nakalimutan mo ata na bahay ka pa," I sneered at him. 

I heard his laugh on the other line before saying words that almost made me puke. "Why? You missed me, Aunt?"

"Shut up," I said and ended the call. But before I can even enter the room, he messaged me. 

Izaac: Kidding aside. But I'm in the capital right now. Treat me some dinner?

"Whatever. Give me the address," I replied. He instantly sent me the location and time. I furrowed when he gave me the time. It's just past lunch, nearly afternoon. I thought he wants some dinner? 

I disregarded my confusion and held the handle of the door from the outside. But I took a step back when Elizabeth rushed out of the door, without even noticing me. Halatang nagmamadali. 

I entered the library and sat to my place before asking Vini. 

"Ah, Izaac. I think they will meet since it's rare for Izaac to visit the capital," Vini said.

Izaac... Elizabeth... meet... what is this? Is my conclusion correct? The location and time Izaac sent was meant for Elizabeth in the first place? No. Don't conclude, Amara. Facts! You need facts!

With that, I fixed my things. "Why is everyone rushing right now? Is there a calamity or something?" Vini commented while I was busy fixing my things. I chuckled at him before saying goodbye.

I arrived at the location and I looked around, trying to find Izaac. When I found him sitting on a corner of the coffee shop, I sat on the chair available which is far from him and a bit hidden.

Hindi ako mapakali kaya I ordered a drink para na din hindi halatang may ibang pakay ako dito. I am just worried, alright. I hate the conclusion in my head and I don't even want to acknowledge it because it doesn't make sense at all.

Elizabeth and Izaac. They aren't personally meeting each other for their forbidden feelings, right? I've known Elizabeth for a while now and she's someone who would stay with Z. Even without her crown yet, you will feel the need to bow down your head towards her. Ganon kalakas ang dating niya. Just perfect for the ice prince, Zachary.

Kaya naman hindi nakakapagtaka kung bakit mas malapit ako kay Izaac kahit na parehas lang naman ang turing at pag-aalala sa kanila. Sadyang mas kumportable lang ako kay Izaac.

I just really hope I'm wrong. I hate being wrong but this time, I will be glad if I'm proven wrong. I hate to endanger my family but Ate Hena sacrificed so much to maintain the East's stability and rank among the clans. She already suffered, I can't let anyone ruin her hard work.

Sighing, I went out of the shop. My mind was blank that's why when someone grabbed me by surprise and pulled me towards the wall, my brain short circuited. When it finally worked, I blinked when I found the culprit.

His face is so near me that I can feel his breathing. I slowly looked up and found him looking down, staring at me with his intense eyes.

What is he doing here?

***

Happy 19K reads Reign! Thank you and keep safe :))