Ch. 35: The Battle of the Astronomy Tower

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 35: The Battle of the Astronomy Tower

Jets of different coloured lights fired across the long corridor at the foot of the Astronomy Tower. Kiara stood near the entrance, dodging spells and sending flames and spells at Death Eaters who were throwing blasts of Unforgiveable Curses like they were daily household charms.

Only minutes earlier, Kiara, Ron, Ginny and Neville stumbled into Bill, Lupin and Tonks who were patrolling an upstairs corridor. They weren't given much of an opportunity to recap the events outside of the Room of Requirement and plan their next move; they all knew that they needed to find the Death Eaters hastily. Fortunately for them, the Death Eaters weren't discreet and began smashing windows and throwing curses at the castle's walls for some amusement. It wasn't long before they found the group heading in the direction of the Astronomy Tower. With the element of surprise, the group began sending spells to stop the Death Eaters in their tracks. Although the Death Eaters took a moment to recollect their tactics, they were quick and deadly with their response.

"Cover me! I'm going to get behind them because something isn't right," Kiara called to Ginny who nodded, focused on fighting Alecto who was sending rapid curses at the two girls. She found it suspicious that they were heading towards the Astronomy Tower out of all places in the castle when they only just arrived. There was nothing at the Tower, especially late at night. There were no students or classes.

Kiara glanced around them for an opening but she couldn't see one. The Death Eaters formed a tight barricade as if they were intentionally trying to stop them from getting to the Astronomy Tower. If only she could Apparate in the castle... Apparate! Her eyes widened in realisation. She remembered using her powers to disappear and reappear during their first Apparition lesson. Maybe, it was possible that she could still do it in the castle within the protective spells, considering it wasn't really Apparition. She stepped behind the group, falling with the darkness of the night and closed her eyes, ignoring the bangs and shouts around her. Instead, she imagined the burning flames around her and travelling to the other side of the hallway. She felt the warmth for a split second and when she opened her eyes, she was standing by the entrance to the Tower. She smirked at her bewildering success.

"GIBBON!" Rowle roared, fighting Lupin intensely. Fortunately, the Death Eaters hadn't noticed her reappearance, their backs facing her. "THE DARK MARK! NOW!"

The Death Eater nearest Kiara nodded curtly and turned to the entrance. His eyes widened when he saw Kiara blocking his way, her wand out. "Out of my way before you get hurt, beautiful."

"You should be worried about yourself," Kiara smirked, pointing her wand at him. "Stupefy!"

Gibbon blocked it with ease, which she expected. She wanted it to be easy for him. "You just signed your death wish." A Killing Curse flew from his wand towards Kiara. She prepared to use her fire to protect herself but the spell was deflected from her left by a white light.

"Don't touch her!" Draco shouted, appearing from the darkness in the corner of the corridor. Kiara didn't see him before when they caught up with the Death Eaters. It made her wonder if he was hiding from the battle because he wanted no part in it. He pointed his wand at Gibbon's chest. "The Dark Lord needs her!"

"Protecting your sister, are you?" Gibbon snarled. "I knew you were soft. You could never finish your mission. I'm surprised you got this far, alive."

Draco's face hardened with humiliation. He flicked his wand at an unexpecting Kiara who suddenly became wrapped with ropes around her entire body. "I would give her to the Dark Lord myself if I could."