Ch. 14: The Upper Hand

"Kiara Riddle."

Chapter 14: The Upper Hand

The walk from the Muggle village to the Burrow was a silent and uncomfortable one. For some peculiar reason, however, Fred held Kiara's hand the entire time as he guided her through the snow. She didn't say a word and allowed him to lead her to the Burrow, trying to ignore the butterflies in her chest that were showing no sign of slowing down.

"Where have you been?" Ginny called as they walked inside the kitchen. She was sitting at the kitchen table, reading her Potions textbook. "Merlin's pants! Why are you both covered in paint?" She froze, however, when she noticed that their hands were still linked, unable to stop staring. This small act seemed to force Fred into reality as he followed Ginny's line of vision. He wrenched his hand away from Kiara's pink one and stalked off, presumably to his bedroom upstairs. The loud slam of a door confirmed this theory.

Without a second's warning, Ginny jumped from her chair and pulled Kiara forcefully towards her own bedroom. The butterflies in her chest still did not disappear as Ginny banged her bedroom door shut behind her, taking a deep breath. "Explain. And please, enlighten me why you look like a rainbow vomited on you."

Kiara sighed, sitting down on the floor. She hastily explained the past hour, sparing no detail for Ginny. She knew that if she left any part out, it would involve numerous questions from her until she knew the insides and outs.

Ginny didn't speak at first once Kiara finished. She merely paced around the room, trying to understand Kiara's explanation and comprehend what was unfolding between the ex-lovers. "First, he tried to ignore you. Then, he tried to be rude to you... Maybe, that's how he is coping with being around you for the first time properly since you broke up."

"I think it was better when he ignored me," Kiara groaned, pushing back a strand of green hair behind her ear.

"And the hand-holding? I think it took him back to when you were dating, that's why he didn't let go when you were walking. When he realised what was going on, he took off quicker than a Firebolt." Ginny's thoughts left Kiara perplexed and impressed. She didn't even consider that possibility. It was highly likely that the paint fight left Fred thinking of their old relationship.

"I want to know though, why were you jealous?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"I mean... You were annoyed when he was talking to that Muggle skank. You were jealous, why?"

Kiara's initial response wavered as she recalled her emotions. She was annoyed about Charlotte's existence in general, yes, but there was a wave of a different emotion when Fred kissed her hand. "I-I don't know. She annoyed me so my eyes would've been golden. If I was jealous, my eyes would've been a different colour." Ginny raised her eyebrows at Kiara as if to force her to admit the truth. "I'm not lying to you. I can ask George what colour they were."

"That's good enough for me but if they were a different colour, it means you were jealous which means you still have feelings for Fred," Ginny exclaimed happily and Kiara jumped over to her, covering her mouth and shushing her.

"First of all, not so loud! Those Extendable Ears can be anywhere with those nosey boys! And secondly, it definitely does not mean that."

'You still like Fred,' Ginny mouthed to Kiara without making a sound, grinning. Kiara laughed at her friend but shook her head.

"What am I meant to do now?" Kiara said quietly, looking to Ginny for advice. Even though she was a year younger, the youngest Weasley's advice was eye-opening and inspiring at all times. Ginny was a rational and strong girl and Kiara loved that most about her.