Chapter 14: Reunion and Memorial

A couple of months later Ashley and Jeff are in choir class with Ms. Dumine practicing for their winter concert. "Alright everyone, it's time to audition for the solos for our winter concert, now I encourage you all to audition, but if you don't want to that's completely understandable. So, everyone that wants a solo, would you please follow me to the back." Ms. Dumine walks in the back and almost all of the students follow her back. 

"Damn, I guess a lot of people want their fifteen minutes of fame," says Ashley.

"Why don't you try out?" asks Jeff.

"Because if I do, I'm one hundred percent going to pass out on stage, and I just don't want to."

"Come on Ash, you're the most talented person in here. You would get it, no question."

"Well, if I'm as talented as you say I am, then I'll let the less talented people have a chance at getting it. To be nice." Jeff rolls his eyes and smiles when a janitor walks in the room, he walks over to Jeff and Ashley. 

"Excuse me young lady?" Ashley looks over at him.

"Yes?"

"Do you know where Ms. Dumine is? She asked me to come and clean her office, but she likes it done in a specific way. So, I need to come and get her before I clean."

"Yeah, she's in the back, Wait a minute, you look very familiar."

"I do?"

"Yeah...Wait...Carl?!"

"Why, yes that's me. How do you know me?"

"It's me Ashley!" She turns to Jeff, "Jeff! Get down here it's Carl!" Jeff runs down to her, 

"Carl! My guy!" Carl thinks for a minute. "Ashley...Oh! That little girl from the fifth grade, right?"

"Yes!"

"Oh! It's good to see you, sorry I didn't recognize you. I'm fifty-five years old, my memories going down the drain," Ashley giggles,

"It's okay, so Carl how have you been?"

"I've been alright, just cleaning floors and plunging toilets."

"Well, good."

"What have you youngsters been up to?"

"Well, me and Jeff have gotten together." Ashley kisses Jeff on the cheek,

"Oh that's wonderful! I knew you two were good for one another, when I first saw you. So you two are in the choir?"

"Yep, Jeff encouraged me to join, so I did."

"That's wonderful, I was in the choir when I was your age."

"Really?"

"Oh yes, I was known as 'golden throat' because my voice was solid gold." They all laugh, "But unfortunately, age was not kind to me, and I lost my voice when I lost my hair."

"Aww."

"Yeah, are you doing a solo in the concert, I would love to hear you sing."

"Uh, well she-" Ashley covers Jeff's mouth,

"Yes, yes I am."

"Oh, good I can't wait to hear you sing! I guess I'll come back later when Ms. Dumine's actually here. I'll see you kids later."

"Bye Carl," says Ashley as he walks off.

"So you're singing a solo now, huh?" asks Jeff.

"I guess, I am." Ashley walks to the back room.