Chapter 18: A Night To Remember

A few years later it's senior year, Ashley and Jeff are seventeen. Ashley is at her final softball game of the season, there down by a lot with only twenty minutes left in the game. Their coach orders then to huddle up at the dugout. "Alright, girls now I know things are looking grim, but that doesn't mean we just get to lie down and give up. Forget all those other numbers on the scoreboard right now, all that matters is one number...twenty. There are twenty minutes left in this game, and for the seniors on our team...Girls you only have twenty minutes left in a Falcons uniform...I've always wanted to say that! Captain do your thing," she says as she walks off. Ashley walks up in front of everyone. 

"Alright girls, remember what coach said, we've got twenty minutes left. Now believe it or not a lot can happen in twenty minutes if we play our cards right. So I want all of you to go out there and show everyone what the Ferrisville Falcons can do!" They all cheer and they go out and play. They score a lot of runs and there's only time for one more run, and the score is all tied up. It's Ashley up to bat. her coach turns to her and says. 

"Look Ashley if you score a home run, we win. So, no pressure..."

"Thanks, I definitely do not feel the pressure."

"Good, then go out there and get'em!" Ashley rolls her eyes then goes out to bat, she looks around and sees Jessie and Jeff in the stands cheering for her. She hears the opposing team saying, 

"Hey batter, batter, batter, swing!" She drowns them out and focuses on the pitcher, the pitcher is giving her a mean look, but she doesn't care. The pitcher looks behind her and says to her team 

"Let's go!" Her team gets in position and the field falls silent, the pitcher ready's her throw, and Ashley ready's her bat. The pitcher throws the ball at lightning speed, Ashley sees the ball and smacks it out of the park. She drops her bat and runs, to the first base, then second, then third, then all the way home. "The Ferrisville Falcons win thirty-seven to thirty-six! Congratulations to the Ferrisville Falcons!" Her team runs over and gets the trophy, they hand it to Ashley and hoist her up as they all cheer.

A couple of days later Jeff and Ashley are at school sitting in the library when Sergio walks up to them and says, "Hey guys."

"Sergio!" says Ashley. He sits next to them. "So Ashley are you going to prom?"

"Uh, I don't know."

"Has Jeff asked you yet?"

"No..." She looks over at Jeff and gives him a look "...he hasn't." .

"Oh! Uh, Ashley would you like to come to prom with me?" asks Jeff.

"Of course I would." She kisses him on the cheek,

"Looks like I'm going now."

"Great, because I'm going too."

"Really, with who?"

"No one, I'm going by myself."

"Aww..."

"Yeah, apparently no one finds me charming or handsome enough to go with."

"Hey! Don't say that about yourself, you are handsome, and charming."

"Thank you Ashley, but I don't believe that I am..."

"You don't need a girl to have fun. You can go in there and bogey down just as good as everyone else!"

"I don't know..."

"Sergio, you know you're more than welcome to hang out with us."

"Really?"