Chapter 4: Persephone and George

Persephone was following Orpheus and the workers to the surface when she saw Orpheus turn. All she could do was gape at the decision. It really was the only bad choice he could have made. Before she could think on it further she saw the light of the world above glinting through an iron door. She carefully opened the door and let the sun hit her face. At first she had to squint but soon she could get a good view of the surrounding area. She stood in front of what could only be considered a palace. She sighed as she realized she was displaced and therefore she wouldn't be able to see her mother. It seemed difficult to look, but the anxiety made her want to drink.

"M'Lady?" a tall man in a guard's uniform walked up behind her as the iron door faded.

"Yes?" Persephone straightened and brushed off the front of her black dress.

"Why are you standing here? this is his majesty's private property."

"His majesty? And where am I?" Persephone fiddled with a strand of her hair. Being sober caused her to fidget a lot.

"Buckingham Place of course ma'am"

"And who is his majesty?"

"King George the third ma'am." The guard began to look almost as nervous as the deceivingly calm Persephone was. Gods she wanted morphine.

"Take me to him?" Persephone had always loved to meet mortal royalty and she supposed it would be more interesting then any other option she had at the moment. The guard went pale and shook his head quickly. "And what is wrong?" She tried to smile gently at the man who looked about ready to faint.

"His Majesty does not like visitors" Persephone frowned but carefully stepped past the guard who was to scared to make any effort to follow her as she entered the palace. 

The palace was filled with long hallways and ornate decor. Persephone was hardly a fragile human and was in no way scared of the man who had terrified the guard. She opened each door as she made her way through the large building startling many members of the king's staff. Eventually she saw a door that looked so much like the door to her husband's throne room she knew she had found the right room. The door was more than six feet tall and had rubies embedded in a simple pattern. She pushed open the door to reveal a man on a throne. The man had a white powdered wig an wore a red and gold ensemble. A puffy white overcoat was thrown over the arm of the throne.

"Hello" The man grinned as he stared. Persephone supposed most humans would be uncomfortable but she just laughed slightly at his foreign accent and stepped in to the room.

"Your majesty" She bowed slightly mockingly "My name is Persephone, Queen of the Netherworld, Lady of the Underground." 

"Interesting my dear" the king smiled wider, showing too many teeth "What do you say to a cup of tea?"

"Excellent" Persephone nodded. Hopefully this would distract her, after all what was she to do sober and without her mother? Surely this would be fun. "Lead the way George" She dropped the honourific and just smiled back. 

-Written by Juniper-