𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈|the barrier

I love reading your comments and all the support you guys are giving this story. It really motivates me to write

Also, forgot to mention this last chapter, but did anyone else watch 'Shadow and Bone'? I'm obsessed with Kaz, Inej and Jesper

——————————

Walking out into the cold, England air, Clementine inhaled deeply

Walking out into the cold, England air, Clementine inhaled deeply. The weight behind Spike's questions lifted from her chest just enough that she could breathe. 

Spike was worried about Jessie; they all were. But he didn't seem to understand what the answer to his question about his sister might mean for her. She was scared, to say the least.

Her brother had been right - something she had realised as soon as she saw the clones crawling out of the Earth. She just didn't want to have to admit to herself that it wasn't a coincidence, because that meant something was happening to her.

And that meant that her friends would worry about her, and she didn't want that. She wanted to be able to help Jessie first.

Clementine wasn't sure how long Spike would keep his promise to keep her dreams a secret, so she only hoped that between now and then, they miraculously stopped.

But when were they ever so lucky?

Spotting Bea sitting on the metal stairs nearby, Clementine walked over quietly and sat down beside the girl.

Jessie had told her what had happened with the Tooth Fairy. The woman had been threatening to kill Billy and Clementine, claiming that the only way she would ever stop was if she were dead. 

Bea, realising she had no choice, had picked up on a tool a stabbed the woman with it. Clementine, Billy and Spike had been speechless when Jessie had told them.

The thought that Bea felt she had no choice but to do something like that; Clementine almost felt responsible. Bea had done so to save her and Billy, and she had no idea how she would ever repay the girl.

But, thanking her for killing someone also didn't feel like the right move. The blood was gone from her hands and face, but Bea was still sitting there with a blank, expressionless look on her face. 

Clementine thought maybe was having trouble accepting her reality also. How just days ago they had just been a group of kids living somewhat ordinary lives - as ordinary as you can get as an orphan.
Now, they were being sent out to solve cases involving things that should not have even been possible. The whole thing just felt rather crazy.

"I'm sorry," Clementine whispered, feeling that they were the only words that felt even remotely appropriate.

Bea shook her head, giving a weak smile. "I'm okay, Clem."

"Bea, how long have we known each other?" Clementine asked although they both knew it wasn't really a question that needed an answer. "You don't have to pretend with me."