Chapter 18: By the River

Splashes of water spatters all over those figures playing on the shallow river just beside the roaring waterfall. Laughters embedded them, smiles full of genuine joy as they ran in circles, trying to catch one another.

Chaewon, already drenched wet, used her wings and created a force of wind that blew towards Yujin, making the younger stumble down the water. She laughed, before taking revenge by using both her hands and splashed water towards the 'lioness'.

"They sure are playful.." Hitomi watched them both with a small, loving smile being plastered on her lips.

"Chaewon-unnie's slowly becoming like Linus.." Wonyoung also remarks, remembering the times when Chaewon was still the 'mature' one among them.

As the bunny finished setting up the fire, with Hitomi's help, she buried the stick on the ground near it to cook the fish being skewed.

After that, her eyes just locked themselves onto Yujin, like they have their own mind and moved on their own. She unknowingly stared at Yujin, and smiled eventually upon seeing her eye-smile once again. Just this sight is enough to make her feel glad as well. Like it was a form of comfort.

Hitomi never failed noticing her dear friend's behavior. She chuckled to herself, eyes also locking to look the two who's clearly enjoying themselves, playing into the water, "a beautiful view.."

Wonyoung slowly turned to her, humming in question.

"I mean, just look at them."

Wonyoung follows, looking at the two again, but more specifically at the human.

"Look at their smile, their laughter. Aren't they beautiful..?" Hitomi only found herself smiling at the sight of Chaewon, giggling with authentic bliss.

"Sure is." And Wonyoung..? She was drowning in her own stare. She didn't even realize what she's doing right now, not until she heard a chuckle from the fairy.

"You seem genuine about her."

And this made Wonyoung's calm eyes, turned wide open to the statement, "Genuine? What for?"

"For Yujin," Hitomi faced Wonyoung, after then laughed at the bunny's confused face. "It's really amusing how you can't differentiate your feelings between Kai and... her," the fairy pointed at Yujin.

"You must be kidding. Nobody knows myself better than me," Wonyoung forced a chuckle.

"And that's... what you thought," Hitomi paused as she stood up from her place, dusting some dirt off herself before she faced the bunny again, "Right now? I can tell you're confused yourself," that's what she said lastly before joining the other two.

This left Wonyoung dumbfounded, and even more confused as she were before. But she just lets out a sigh, shrugging of Hii-chan's words, never minding them and just continued cooking the skewed fish.

Meanwhile, on the river, Yujin's playful expression was replaced with a blank look as soon as Hitomi joined in. Her playmate, Chaewon's attention immediately averts to the fairy, now exchanging smiles and stares with her.

"Am I born to be third wheel?" Yujin snorts to herself as she turns away, energy been depleted almost immediately.

Only for her to get energetic again upon seeing Wonyoung on the riverside, roasting fishes by the fire. So without wasting time, she instantly ran to the bunny with a grin reaching from ear to ear.