vii: D'ARTAGAN P1

↳˳;; ❝ y/n ᵕ̈ ೫˚∗:

"SO, YOU AND lucas kissed?" i ask beverly, putting a bobby pin in my hair. i just hate when one stray hair doesn't cooperate.

"yeah," she answers, blushing as she fiddles with her fingers nervously.

"so, are you two like, boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"well, we haven't really put a label on it yet," she tells me, rolling her eyes when she sees my teasing expression.

"what?!" i exclaim in disbelief, sitting next to my cousin.

"so you can make fun of me and max, but i can't make fun of you and lucas?"

she hums a yes, nodding her head as i roll my eyes and hit her with a pillow.

"hypocrite."

-

MIKE'S A TOTAL ass. it's only been a day since halloween, but he's so rude.

when riding to school, he kicked my bike tire, claiming it went flat, just so i could ride with him. then when we do get to school, he drags me away from will and max.

now we're sitting in math class. and max keeps asking why i'm snuggled up to mike instead of sitting with her.

like, uh, i can't move. he practically has me in a choke hold.

"the case of phineas gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. a large iron rod was driven completely through his head. phineas miraculously survived. he seemed fine. and physically, yes, he was. but his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. so much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'no longer gage.' at the time, this was known as the american crowbar case. although it wasn't a-"

dustin then busted through the door, interrupting mr. clarke's lesson. he was acting off, and his thoughts were loud. just as his heavy breathing was.

he sits down with a sigh of relief, apologizing to mr. clarke. he shoots me and mike an odd look, which i shrug too. i had no idea why mike was being this odd either.

"we have to meet," dustin whispers loudly, failing to keep quiet as mr. clarke looks our way.

"all of us, at lunch, A.V. club."

he then turns to max, whispering the details to her. he was forced to stop by an annoyed mr. clarke. i look at max, her eyes setting on mine for a moment before she looks out the window, avoiding my gaze.

what have i done?

-

WE'RE SAT HUDDLED in the A.V. room, bev and will occasionally trying to ask why i was avoiding max. since mike had me pressed against him, holding onto me for dear life, i couldn't even say a word back.

but we were here to see d'artagan, not to gossip.

that's right, i got impatient and snooped in dustin's mind for information.

dustin opens his ghostbusters trap. a feature from his costume. it revealed a slimy slug-like creature, much similar to the image in dustin's head. except less hazy, since seeing it now wasn't seeing a distant memory.

"his name is d'artagnan," dustin smiles, picking up the creature, and holding it to his face.

"cute right?"