-28-

Heather had never been so excited to get out of her dorm room before. She finished packing her suitcase, hoisting it up on its side and letting the handle come out. She heard Courtney in the shower and thought about saying goodbye, but she knew it was no use.  She had already told her ex-best friend where she was going for the weekend, and she only responded with a slight nod.

She sighed, left the room, and walked out of the sorority to meet Alejandro in the parking lot. He gave her a warm, loving smile and helped her put her things in the trunk. They got in the car, and he started driving.

Heather looked out the window, anxiously fiddling with her hands. Alejandro noticed and gently took her left hand. "Are you nervous, mi amor?"

"No... maybe...fine, I am, ok? I don't know if your mom is even going to like me."

"I know she will. You are incredible, Heather."

"I don't know, I... you know I don't get along with people easily. I just don't want to fuck things up with your family." This was the first time Heather genuinely cared about making a first impression on someone.

"You won't." He smiled, rubbing her hand. She took a deep breath. Just be polite, she told herself.

They arrived a couple of hours later. Alejandro took out a small remote, which opened the gates at the front. He drove through and parked in the circle driveway.

Heather stared out the window in awe. "I still can't believe this is the house you grew up in." She had only been there one other time when they pranked José. His mother hadn't been home then.

He smiled. "It was a wonderful place to be brought up in."

Heather bit her lip. She wondered just how different his childhood had been from hers. She reached to open the door once the car stopped.

"Nuh-uh, let me escort you out, Hermosa." Alejandro got out of the car and walked around to her side. She rolled her eyes as he held his hand out for her to take and got out.

"You know how I feel about all that extra stuff."

"I know you love it. No one treats you that way, so let me be the first."

Heather sighed, a hint of blush across her cheeks. Ugh, he's right. I do love it. I love being treated like a queen by him. It's like Heaven.

Alejandro led her up the steps to the front door. A part of Heather wanted to postpone this whole serious relationship thing. But that was the same part that told her not to open up to anybody, which never worked out for her. Her love for Alejandro kept her there. It kept her from running. And she liked it.

He rang the doorbell and squeezed her hand, seeing the tension in her shoulders. "It's ok. Everything will be fine."

The door opened, revealing a woman with curly dark brown hair. Her eyes were bright green, and her smile was charming. Heather could see the resemblance. "Aye! Alejandro, my little papaya!" She welcomed him with a warm embrace.

"Hola, mother," he smiled, hugging her back. They pulled out of the hug. "Mom, this is my girlfriend, Heather."

Her face lit up. "Hi Heather, I am Mariana. It is so nice to finally meet you! I have heard so much about you from mi niño! He talks about you over the phone non-stop! Sometimes we have to tell him to tone it down," she laughed.

Really? Heather bit the inside of her cheek to hide how flustered she was. He really talks about me that much? It was nice to know she was on his mind just as much as he was on hers when they weren't together.

"Mamá," Alejandro laughed awkwardly. "Of course, I talk about her. She is the love of my life, after all."

"Oh, so preciosa!" She squealed. "Come in, come in!" She waved her hand, and Alejandro let her in first.