Safe and sound

Safe and sound; Out of danger and unharmed

Jace's POV (first person)

We arrived at the Lightwood house in Idris, and we were greeted by the cold glares of Maryse and Robert lightwood.

They were particularly unwelcoming towards Freya, actually more like, downright hostile.

"The famous Freya, who has hopelessly captured the hearts of my sons", Maryse blurted out.

Freya, glared at Maryse, and sarcastically rolled her eyes.

"Valentine's daughter", Robert added.

Freya ignored his comment, and looked away, unamused.

"Is she mute?", Maryse asked.

"No, I'm not", she replied, curtly.

Maryse's eyes bulged, and Robert looked taken aback.

I fought hard to not burst out laughing.

"I don't know what they see in you", Isabelle retorted.

Today was going to be an extremely long day.

Freya's POV (first person)

I headed to my new 'home'. It didn't feel like a home, it felt more like a prison.

Hostility clouded the air.

I decided to wonder around aimlessly and directionless. I bumped into an already pissed off Isabelle.

She rolled her eyes, but had a sympathetic expression.

Confusion clouded my thoughts. She smiled, then walked off.

I heard distant voices, coming from down the hallway. I got curious, like they say curiosity kills the cat.

It really does, because I wasn't prepared for what was about to be said by Maryse Lightwood.

"The Clave, is damning anyone associated with Freya Morgenstern, she's practically on house arrest", Maryse said.

House arrest. To be honest what was I expecting. They hated my father, and that hatred, bottled up for so many years, sublimely affected me.

But it doesn't mean it didn't somehow shock me.

I immediately stormed off. No wander Isabelle was so stand-offish.

So for exploring the 'great shadowhunter homeland'. More like 'a great scam'.

They couldn't possibly notice my disappearance for a couple of hours. Surely not?

Jace's POV (first person)

Damned. Being with Freya was apparently tarnishing to the so called 'lightwood family reputation'.

I reminded them I was as much of a lightwood as a block of butter, before storming off.

Stuff the Lightwood name, if that meant avoiding Freya.

I wasn't even a Lightwood. I wasn't even a Wayland.

I didn't care too much.

I was just Jace, and nothing would change that, regardless of my surname.

I burst out of the room, searching for Freya. She was nowhere to be found.

Where would she have gone?

Alec's POV (first person)

I decided enough was enough... I had to move on, for the greater good...

Stuff the Lightwood name, I was finally giving up constantly trying to please my bitter parents.

They were never satisfied with anything I did.

I decided to find my parabatai.

We had become distant lately.

I saw Jace storming out of Freya's room, looking annoyed.

"Jace", I called out.

He slowly turned around, stood. Staring for a while, before finally asking where Freya is.

I shrugged.

Wait.... What about Freya?

"I tracked her, and it doesn't seem to be working", Jace said. He sounded worried.

As soon as those words left Jace's mouth we heard rustling in Freya's room. I slowly opened the door, and saw a startled Freya, caked in mud.

"What in the world", I said.

Jace's POV (first person)
"What the hell Freya!", I yelled, this girl was going to be the death of me.

"What?", she asked.

"Where did you go you Frey?", I asked. Exhausted from worrying.

"Chill out, I just decided to wander the 'glorious shadowhunter land', and may have gotten chased by a dog, for three hours, then I saw some old abandoned houses, and decided to check them out, which was an instant mistake, because I may have bumped into a ghost, a literal ghost, and it scared the living crap out of me, I stumbled down the path, back here, and on the way I fell into a puddle full of leaves and dirt, and I look like something that has crawled out of a swamp like honestly...", she babbled on.

"A swamp?", Alec asked, looking confused. He probably didn't understand any of Freya's babbling.

"Seriously Freya?", I said, whilst raising my eyebrows.

"Well I decided since I'm on 'house arrest', why not just break the rules for once, and I also needed to think about some things", she admitted.

I sighed.

I picked out several leaves from her hair, and laughed.

"Typical Freya", I said, whilst smirking.

"Typical", Alec said, before leaving.

I closed the door behind him, and slowly walked towards Freya.

"Ignore Maryse, there's probably no truth behind her words, she's just worried, and regardless, I could never avoid you. I would choose you over being a shadowhunter any day, and I don't say that lightly", I said.

"I hope it won't ever come to that", Freya mumbled.

"It won't, but if it did, I would choose you", Jace said.

If only everybody knew what they were about to face.