one

trigger warnings: mention of cancer (??)

-

we both froze as we made eye contact. her blue eyes making contact with my green ones.

I took a deep breathe and leaned in. was this finally happening?

she looked at me, slowly closing her eyes, moving closer so we could meet in the middle and lock lips.

brooke closed her book and took off her glasses, setting them on the table beside her. she was near the end of her book, so she decided it was time to get a new one.

she got up from her chair and grabbed her things, making her way to the book store a few blocks away.

she arrived to the brighton book store. a gentle smile plastered across her soft face as she looked up at the building.

the book store was her favorite place, ranking just above her apartment. she would always visit the store as a getaway or when she just needed something new to read.

she walked in, the same smile on her face.

"hey brooke!" the lady at the front desk greeted her.

"hello mrs. wilson! how are you today?" brooke responded, her smile growing even more when she saw the lady.

mrs. wilson sighed, "i'm not doing the best. the doctors are saying my cancer is growing and they don't think they can cure it."

"oh i'm so sorry, that must be awful. you have my number if you need help with anything." brooke offered with a smile.

"thank you brooke, you truly are an amazing person. I hope you have a good day." mrs. wilson smiled at brooke, a slight frown tugging at the corners of her mouth.

brooke nodded and continued into the store. she went straight to the romance section.

she walked through each isle, her finger slightly tracing each book.

after a few minutes, she found a book that caught her interest.

the upside of falling.

she gently grabbed it and sat down to read what it's about.

a fun, flirty teen debut from wattpad phenom alex light about a fake relationship and real love. it's been years since seventeen-year-old becca hart believed in true love. but when her former best friend teases her for not having had a boyfriend, becca impulsively pretends she's been secretly seeing someone.

brooke was very intrigued by the book so she took it up to mrs. wilson.

"another romance i'm assuming?" mrs. wilson said with a chuckle as brooke walked up to the desk, book in hand.

brooke laughed and nodded as she handed her the book.

a girl with bubblegum pink hair walked up to the desk beside brooke. she smiled at mrs. wilson as she handed her the book she had.

as mrs. wilson was checking both their books out, the pink haired girl looked at brooke and smiled.

"is that the book you chose?" the girl asked in a very sweet and gentle voice as she pointed at the book brooke had chosen.

she had a very nice german accent that anyone could fall asleep to.

"yes it is." brooke responded, smiling at her.

"it's a very good book. I finished it just last week and it was fantastic, I would definitely read it a second time." the girl said with a smile.

brooke nodded, "that makes me even more excited to read it." she laughed. "what's your name?"

"niki, what's yours?" the girl responded.

niki. what a pretty name.

"brooke, it's very nice to meet you." brooke said, holding her hand out as she smiled.

niki shook her hand, "it's nice to meet you too." mrs. wilson handed niki her book. "i'll see you around brooke."

brooke waved at niki as she left.

"she is a very kind girl." mrs. wilson said as brooke turned to her.

"I can tell." brooke smiled, niki's beautiful smile still stuck in her head.

brooke grabbed her book, saying goodbye to mrs. wilson and left.

when brooke got home, she set the new book beside her chair and sat down. she grabbed her glasses and picked the book up.

she looked at it.

the art of not falling apart.

it took a second to register, but then she realized

that's not her book.

-

authors note:

IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS STORY AAAAHHHH