twenty two

brooke woke up to the sound of her iphone alarm ringing. she groaned and turned it off, getting out of bed. she had work today.

she liked to work at the shop, but she liked sleeping more. she got ready, fed the pets and left for the store. the whole ride there, she had an anxious feeling. she brushed it off though, not thinking anything of it.

she parked and got out, going to the front desk. after mrs. wilson passed, she thought it was best for her to take the job. it made her feel close to her again.

brooke sat in the office chair, sipping the cup of coffee she had just got handed, and began her day at work.

it was usually pretty boring in the bookshop. the only visitors they really got were high school students coming to study or old lady's who have nothing to do.

all brooke had to do was greet them and scan their books. pretty easy.

she had her regular visitors as well. a boy named calum would come in at least 3 times a week to do his homework or study. a lady, probably in her late 30s, named margo would visit with her book club once a week. niki also visited sometimes, but only to say hi.

brooke was stacking some papers she had gathered when a young lady, around 18 years old, walked into the store. "hello. can I get a library card?"

she looked up at the individual, her face immediately going pale at the sight of the woman. "um, yeah." brooke said in response, putting her head down so the lady wouldn't recognize her.

brooke grabbed a card and handed it to her with a sharpie. "here, write your name."

the girl took the sharpie and card, doing exactly what brooke said and gave the sharpie back. "thanks." she said as she walked away.

brooke sighed in relief as she looked up. why is she here? does she know i'm here? shit — she watches my streams! that's how she knows i'm here!

brooke was contemplating how bridget ended up in brighton when she came up to her again. "brooke?" she asked, her brows furrowed. "bridget?"

bridget smiled with a light laugh. "I didn't notice that was you!" she laughed, causing brooke to awkwardly laugh as well. "why are you in brighton?"

"I got a job; I work at the arcade near the pierre." the girl explained, smiling the whole time. "hey, um, i'm really sorry for how I acted when we were together." she apologized with a sympathetic look.

brooke sighed, knowing she shouldn't accept the apology, but she wanted to. she thought about how much damage bridget had caused her when they were dating. "it's alright." brooke replied, slightly smiling.

a smile spread across bridget's face with slight hesitation. "would you like to go to dinner sometime? to catch up?" she asked and brooke nodded.

bridget handed her a slip of paper with her phone number on it. does she always carry that around?

then, with a huge smile, bridget left the shop. brooke knew she would probably regret her decision, but seeing bridget skip out of the store made her smile.

what has she gotten herself into?

"hey." brooke greeted niki with a smile. "oh hi! come in!" niki opened the door a bit more, gesturing for brooke to come into her apartment.

brooke smiled as she walked into the cozy apartment. "wilbur is out with ayla." niki said with a slight chuckle. "oooo aylaaa." brooke replied.

the two bursted into laughter. "so, are you still up for the stream tomorrow?" niki asked, sitting on the couch, brooke close behind.

"oh my god! i'm so sorry, I totally forgot about the stream and made plans with someone!" brooke apologized to niki. "hey, it's okay! we always have the next day." niki assured her with her pleasant smile.

"who is it?" niki asked, curiously. brooke looked at her with furrowed brows. "who do you have plans with?"

"oh, yeah. bridget, my crazy ex randomly moved to brighton and invited me to dinner." brooke responded, hesitantly.

"and you agreed!?" niki questioned in disbelief. "I felt bad! I didn't want to say no!" brooke defended herself.

"listen, brooke. as much as I love how sweet you are and that you care about others feelings; that was the dumbest thing you've ever done!" niki scolded the girl even more. "I know, i'm sorry!"

"it will be a one time thing though. i'll go catch up with her and then we'll never speak again." brooke assured her, putting her hands on her shoulders.

"I have a feeling this is going to work out horribly, but okay." niki said with a shake of the head.

"it won't! I got this." brooke replied.

two chapters in a day??? woah! anyway, hope you guys enjoyed! there's going to be a lot of drama so stay tuned hehe! I really like this chapter and I think it's a big step up from the last! :) <3