A Friendship To Stand The Test of Time: (6k Special)

A/N:

Hey guys! I decided to do a little drabble for you all in thanks for reaching 6k! So, Thank you all so much! I'm so happy that you've taken the time to read this and I'll never stop being thankful. I know that this drabble isn't ship-based, but I thought it was cute and hoped you'd like it! Please feel free to message me, I love meeting new people!

Enjoy! <3

________

Naruto stands outside the convenience store running his hands through his coarse hair and feeling beyond uncomfortable in the layers of sweat that have pooled in his various bodily crevices beneath his school uniform because it's impossibly hot outside. He's waiting for Sasuke to finish his shift at his family's convenience store, school bag slung over his shoulder and earbuds in his ears like he's playing the part of a high-school boy in a local play. (He had once.) (His mom made him do it.)

    Nothing felt worse than the absolute feeling of bone-deep exhaustion that hit him on days like this. It's his senior year for god's sake, and he's only two weeks away from graduating, having miraculously scraped by all these years, barely passing each and every class. Sasuke doesn't seem nearly as excited about graduating as Naruto, moping through every class and living off of vending machine coffee and candy bars as he does nothing but study.

    It's been concerning Naruto for a while actually, his absentee best friend, but after talking to Miyoko about it, they'd both concluded that he'd eventually go back to his annoyingly healthy habits. He hadn't voiced his concern yet, and he'd seriously been considering doing so, especially when Sasuke was taking those pain killers all the time, the ones for migraines. The boy carried a packet of them in his backpack and soccer bag, even going as far as to keep two tablets in his wallet. Naruto had found each set of pills while looking for ramen, money, and gum; in that exact order. All of this concern welling up in Naruto's stomach had led him here, where he is today, sitting on a plastic green chair outside a convenience store and sipping a can of strawberry milk and wishing for a cup of ramen.

Nothing, not even his ramen, can distract him from the weary sigh Sasuke lets out as he leaves the front of the store.

Naruto perks up, leaning forward to slip out of the chair, catching his friend's attention.

"You doin' okay, Sasuke?" It's a gentle statement, one laden with worry, and the boy in question only gives him a slight nod.

"Yeah," Sasuke sighs, "Sorry I haven't been hanging out as much, I've just been really tired from studying all the time."

"It's no big deal," Naruto shrugs in response, "Let's just go get miso ramen, and then we can go play Fortnite on my play station-"

"Nobody plays Fortnite anymore, dumbass." Sasuke scoffs, and when he's not looking Naruto smiles at him softly, grateful to have his friend back.

"I fuckin' like to play so we're gonna," He scoffs back, shoving Sasuke by his shoulder, "just for being a jackass you're paying for the ramen."

    Sasuke stops, falling behind the quick pace Naruto had set, and groans.

"Jesus, you're gonna eat a hole through my wallet!"

"Should've thought of that before you were a little bitch, huh?" Naruto taunts and starts running, doing his best to escape from Sasuke's hands reaching for the collar of his shirt.

"Oh, eat my ass!" The other boy growls, steadily gaining speed as they race down the sidewalk.

"With pleasure!" Naruto shouts over his shoulder, taking a moment to lock eyes with a smiling Sasuke before throwing back his head to laugh.

The funny thing is, most people would think that the insults would hurt, but Naruto's never felt better. They've got a friendship that will stand the test of time and the way they treat one another has nothing to do with it.