Roadtrippin

Road trips are not my forte. I've known this since I was five, when my parents made me and my brother cram into their Toyota Camry and ride halfway across the goddamn United States that lasted half the summer. That was my first and only experience with road trips, because I complained so thoroughly about the one that my parents promised never to do it again. Yet, here I find myself in the passenger seat of my boyfriend Naruto's 1994 Chevy truck chugging down the highway to sunny San Diego to visit my Parents in my hometown for Thanksgiving.
    I hate holidays, mainly because that means that I have to socialize with others than my few friends in College. I have no problem with my Brother, Itachi, and my Sister in Law, Sakura, or my Uncles Kakashi and Obito. I have a problem with my Father, and my Grandfather. Who both condescendingly think I should have a girlfriend by now. And here I am, bringing my best friend and boyfriend home to disappoint my family.
"Hey babe," Naruto's voice, lilting with concern, brings me out of my stupor.
"Yeah," I turn my head to look at him, noticing the wrinkle in his forehead, his skin creasing with worry.
"Are you alright? I don't think your parents will hate me." He adds, biting his lower lip as he carefully passes a Prius sitting in the right lane.
"I don't think they'll hate you either. It's me they'll hate." I continue to stare straight ahead out the windshield with a bored expression, doing my best to mask my face.
"Do they not know you're gay?" He asks, face contorting more as my words sink in. Love him to death, but he isn't the brightest.
"No. I've never been in a relationship with anyone but you." I turn and look at the smaller blonde, his tan skin and blue eyes popping out against the monotone background of the scenery. The whisker mocking scars on his cheeks a constant reminder of the tragedy of his family's massacre.
"Oh," His voice is soft now, a striking contrast to his usual brash manner and overwhelming confidence.
"Don't worry," He turns and smiles at me, teeth peeking their bright white color through the parting of his sun kissed lips, "I'll protect you,"
"Isn't that supposed to be my line?" I smile softly at him, reaching over to place my hand on his knee, leaning gracelessly across the console to give him a small kiss on the ear. He reaches up a hand and threads it through my hair to hold me close.
"Don't worry, I'll make everything okay." He says again, turning his head slightly to press a kiss into my mop of hair, eyes still on the road. I sigh, leaning my head on his shoulder and pressing my nose into his neck as we cruise across the asphalt. A whisper of a sentence manages to slip past my lips.
"You always do,"