Chapter 29: Driven to Distraction

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Driven to Distraction

"Step Nine: Visit the zoo."

"Hatori, what's that supposed to mean? Which zoo? My relatives?"

"I guess she is giving you free range to do what you'd like. But don't make this a vacation. Tohru has school."

Tohru loves me.

"Would you like to come with us, Tori-san?" He meant it as a taunt, knowing how much Hatori cared for the young woman.

Tohru loves me.

"Actually, I would." Aw, shucks. But it's fine, Tohru-chan loves me!

He called out of his room, "Tohru, after you finish washing the breakfast dishes, get dressed, we're going to Ueno Zoo!"

Tohru stopped scrubbing the dishes, and rubbed her face with her arm. "Huh?" She hadn't gotten much sleep last night, thinking about incident that had transpired between Shigure and her. It tied her brain into one big thorny knot just thinking about it.

"We're going to Tokyo today! Hatori-san is coming too!"

Tohru smiled absentmindedly. Shigure was so perky sometimes; wanting to do things with her. She was grateful that Hatori was coming too. It would smooth out the tension that sometimes built from nothing, or a single touch.

Tohru's mind drifted to an image of them walking through the zoo, with all the animals free and tame, it looked like the Lion King animation, with the elephants trumpeting, the storks with their heads bent low in praise, the hippos rolling in the mud merrily, and the merry birds swirling above their heads.

"Tohru?"

"Hai."

"You should change into something."

"Oh, sorry. Sorry."

Tohru hustled up the stairs and got dressed quickly. She pulled herself into a charcoal grey jumper, with four big bold purple buttons, two at the bottom of the each wide stray. She put her small coin purse (stuffed with dollar bills) and cell-phone into the large pocket. She tied her hair into a single low ponytail and went downstairs.

Shigure was dressed in a grey yukata.

She slipped in her sneakers and said, "Are we ready to go?"

He said, "We need to bring some food. Since you didn't prepare any extra during breakfast, we can buy lunch on the way. I absolutely hate zoo food. It's so greasy and touristy."

"Okay, let me grab a few water bottles and a few oranges."

Shigure went out to get his motorcycle revved up. Tohru packed the food in a wonderful versatile plastic bag, of the best quality.

Shigure handed her a helmet and they started off.

He felt her breasts pressed firmly into his back, and her arms wrapped snake-like around his torso. It felt good, like he was her anchor, stronghold, pillar of strength.

"So, is Hatori driving us, or are we taking the bus?"

"Train. We don't have to spend time finding parking."

"'Kay."

Hatori was already waiting on the porch of his office, dressed in a pale blue T-shirt, and khaki trousers. He looked relaxed, young, carefree - at the opposite spectrum of his usual misanthropic, wintry self.