Chapter 2: The Game Plan

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Two: The Game Plan

Hatori woke up the next morning, stiff as a corpse. And by the looks of it in the mirror, he was one. His face was alabaster white, and he had big swollen bags under his eyes. He was aching everywhere too. What a night.

Shigure was going to give him a hard time over it. As well as over the 'plan'.

He got dressed in a navy tee shirt and wool slacks, and set out for Shigure's house.

April greeted him with a blast of warm air and chirping birds. The weather was so unpredictable.

Just like the events that surrounded him this past week.

He got into the driver's seat and started the car. He drove out of the Sohma property and onto a small road through the woods to Shigure's house.

Ten minutes later, Hatori parked in front of his cousin's property. He turned off the ignition and got out of his car. He walked up to the house, and taking a deep breath, knocked.

The door opened and Kyo greeted him with a "Hey, are you here for breakfast? We just got started."

He remembered that the boys were home for spring break from college. Both were at the same prestigious university, much to their distaste; but they were getting along well.

"Yes, I'd love to have breakfast. I'm here to talk to Shigure."

"'kay," Kyo responded, indifferent, as he stepped aside to allow Hatori into the house.

Hatori saw everyone situated at the table. When Tohru saw him, her eyes instantly lit up. She rose from her mat and came to him, bowing several times.

"Good morning Ha-san. Is a bowl of porridge okay for you?"

"Of course. Thank you Tohru."

Tohru blushed as she ran off into the kitchen.

Shigure asked, "What brings you to this neck of the woods, Tori-san?"

"Why are you so chipper? Didn't Akito just die not four days ago?"

"So?"

Hatori looked perplexedly across the table at Shigure. Hatori thought Shigure had some sort of romantic relationship with Akito, but quickly erased that thought. Just because they had sex occasionally did not mean that he loved her.

He loved no one.

"I have to speak to you about Akito after breakfast, Shigure."

"No need to sound so cold. Of course. I'm not too busy today."

They finished breakfast and Hatori helped Tohru bring the dishes to the sink. "Are you sure you don't need me to help you clean them?"

"Yes, don't worry Hatori. Thank you for the offer."

Hatori gave her a genuine smile before going into the den.

He locked the door behind him.

Shigure spun around in his chair to face the door. Hatori.

Shigure smiled. And Hatori got to the point.

"Akito has a will."

"Really? Did she say anything about me?"

"Yes, um. You were the only subject."

Shigure fanned himself with his hand, fluttering his eyelashes for effect.

Hatori continued, "There's a way to get rid of the curse that involves you."

"What?" Shigure perked up in his seat, standing up to see Hatori straight in the eye.

Hatori didn't know if his eyes lit up in delight or fear. He could never read the dog's dogged expressions. Hatori couldn't stand the charade and got right to the point, "You need to fall in love first."

Shigure backed away. The look of shock was replaced by a grin. "Me, fall in love?"

He paused.

"Of course. All the girls fawn over me. That's simple. I find a girl. Tell her I love her. Mission Accomplished."

Hatori bit his lower lip. He could tell this was going to be hard.

"What's the problem?"

Hatori debated whether or not to tell him about the 'shedding a tear' part. Maybe later.

"You have to follow Akito's guidelines."

"Okay," Shigure said, tentatively, "I can do that. Where are they?"

Hatori pulled the will out of the folder he brought with him and gave it to Shigure.

"Sit down," he said, "You may need to."

Shigure sat down on the couch and read, his eyes darting left to right, left to right.

"Easy, but why me?"

"I don't know why."

"So how do I get started?"

Shigure put on his best black yukata and spectacles and went to the supermarket. He used to find girls this way, in high school and later, in college.

He was going to be the 'intellectual' today. Girls were all over scholars this season.

A pretty girl with a short bob whisked by him with a shopping cart. He followed her.

"Hello."

"Hello," the girl said to him, not even bothering to look at him. That didn't deflate his ego though.

"Would you like to go out with me on a date?"

Pause.

"Sorry, I'm married. And for future reference in poaching, you could at least pretend to be shopping."

Shigure fumed inside, but plastered a smile on his face. "I'm sorry. You are very pretty, just thought we could go out for coffee. That's all."

He turned, and got out of the supermarket, quick.

So, this wasn't going to be easy. He needed a new strategy.

He went to the park with a newspaper and managed to get a college sophomore's phone number. She was cute and perfect. It would be a pity to dump her later, though, after the task was done. He used all his 'puppy cuteness' (in a human way) to woo her. They instantly clicked.

He returned home after a hard day's work.

He sat down at his computer and thought to himself, I'll wait two days before I call. I want her to be eager for me.

He gave Hatori a call. He said cheerfully, "I found the perfect girl. She's cute and innocent, and naïve enough to fall in love with me."

Hatori sighed at the other end.

"This is about truly falling in love, Shigure. No jokes. You have to fall in love with someone. Come over to my office for Akito's first instruction. Mr. Kitano just sent it over his afternoon."

Shigure put the phone back and his face turned livid. How, oh how, was he going to feign true love?

But he was good at these things, wasn't he?

The art of deception.

He changed into his worn yukata and decided to walk over to the main Sohma property. He needed some fresh air.

A/N: Who will be Shigure's victim? What is dear Akito-sama's 'game plan' to free the Sohmas? Comments are very welcome. Thanks for reading.