Chapter 33: Pitter-Patter

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

A/N: I hope everyone enjoys this chapter. It's a bit sad.

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Thirty-Three: Pitter-Patter

A week passed before Shigure asked for another favor. It was going to be impossible to keep up. It was no longer a fun game, but an emotionally-distressing rollercoaster ride. Soon, stringy white hairs would be sprouting out of his ears.

"Hatori, please tell me the next clue."

"There is a note attached to the next step. It says: Shigure, you now have a month to finish five steps."

Shigure thanked the heavens.

"Step Eleven: Engrave something on a piece of jewelry for her. Spend an evening together, and before it is over, give it to her."

Shigure smiled, for the first time in days. Akito had read his mind. He already had something. Perfect.

"Thank you Hatori. Will we see you for dinner tonight?"

"I'd be honored to come for dinner. Is Tohru okay with an extra guest?"

"Of course she is."

Shigure looked at the clock on the wall. It read: 2:13. He removed his hand from his crouch. He went into the shower to take a cold shower. He had these 'breaks' everyday now. He could never think straight. He had not written a chapter for his new book in days. Why? Her, of course. He really needed to do something about 'this.' A man should never be deprived.

He put on his slippers and walked to the shed. He took out a small watering can and filled it up with as much water he could carry without it sloshing all over his feet.

It was a new addition to his life. Gardening.

There was a small green sprout. He bent his head low to look at it. "Hello little bud."

His hot breath caused it to shiver.

He brought the small shoot to its full standing position.

He stood up and sprinkled water over the soil. He remembered four days ago, how happy and proud Tohru had been to see him with the watering can.

"That is so wonderful, Shigure! Can I come with you and watch you water the plants?"

He smiled, remembering the expression on her face, of a cheery mother, ecstatic to find out her offspring was motivated to do something productive.

He didn't realize that all the things he was doing were for her, to see the crooked smile and twinkle in her eye.

At eight, Tohru returned from work. She dropped her book bag on the bench in the foyer and slumped into the couch. She wrapped a thin quilt around her torso. Shigure came out of his room with his arms akimbo. He looked like an angry little boy whose mom hadn't bought him the videogame he wanted for years.

"This late? How are you going to get your school work done?"

"Eventually," Tohru said, not looking to his eyes.

"I'm so hungry! My stomach is going to explode!"

"I brought food from the school cafeteria; lots of vegetables."

He walked up to her and took the plastic bags from her. "Thank you."

He placed the foam containers in front of himself and stuffed his face with meatballs, tofu, and squash.