Chapter 12: Her Seven Dwarves

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

Warning: A bit of Hatori angst.

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Twelve:

Her Seven Dwarves

"What do you want, Hatori? I'm in the middle of something!"

Shigure listened to the loud, firm voice at the other end, while he stood outside the bathroom. "You are just as perverted as me! Of course not! We're at a special place, and Tohru's playing a game with me—"

Pause.

"No, not that kind of game!" Shigure felt that he didn't deserve this. Hatori was thinking too lowly of him. Humpf.

"Shigure. I have the next clue. You should just quickly get this game over with. We don't want to hurt Tohru anymore than we already are," Hatori said, spitting the word 'game' out as though it were a poisoned toad on his tongue.

"Uh! I was just getting the hang of it!"

"Shigure!"

"Okay, okay. Tell me the next clue."

"Step 7: Go to a place that brings make negative childhood memories. Share why. Let her understand. Allow her to help you forget the negative memories associated with the place. Think wisely."

"Since when did Akito sound like a psychiatrist? So unlike her. What is she getting at?"

"You should get started."

"Okay, okay. Don't get you whitie-tighties in a bunch Hatori. I have a long time to get that finished. Remember five every two weeks. I've only spent a little more than a week for six."

"Just reminding you. Don't stay out too long tonight."

"It's already night. Time flies when you're having- Bye, Ha-san!"

Hatori grumbled something under his breath before clicking off.

The smug dog. Hatori hoped he wasn't trying anything with Tohru. She didn't deserve any of this. She deserved real love. Something that no Sohma could provide.

She deserved the truth.

He felt so guilty about this game. He hadn't told Shigure about the 'shedding a tear' thing yet, but had a gut feeling that it wasn't going to endhappily ever after. Anything Akito did, ended shattered and broken. Including his own heart, and his face.

Please don't let Tohru get hurt.

That was Hatori's only wish.

He took his cigarette from between his index and middle finger, and jammed it on his other wrist. This wasn't right. This game of hearts. It sizzled. Crackled. Burned. The skin broke. But just a little. Not enough to sear this pain into his body.

His body was already marred. What did this matter?

He vowed that if Tohru got hurt in this game…

He wouldn't be able to survive.

While she wasn't Kana, or ever able to replace his lost love, she was the light at the end of his dim, dim tunnel. He knew he could never be with her, but just being close gave him a breath of live. Gave him the hope to live. He didn't need her love. All he needed was too be able to love her. Someone. She was a friend.