Chapter 55: Interlude V: Need You, Want You

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

A/N: Thank you everyone for being sooo supportive of this story! It brings tears to my eyes.

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Fifty-Five: Interlude V: Need You, Want You

(The chapter numbers are all screwed up since the 'Unwanted'... sorry)

Ruhi looked past Ichiro, at the lake behind him.

"Ichiro, I forgive you for who you are," she said, softly, "but not what you did. To yourself and me. I'm sorry. I don't think I can."

"Please Ruhi. Please listen to me. I-I"

"Ichiro. The love you had for me was out of pity. You don't love me, you liked the idea of having someone in-infer-inferior to you. It blossomed out of the situations we were put in. Remember when the old lady's son came and we had to hide in the cellar for a week? Of course you loved me then. I was company, a warm body, but now that you are back in your castle, back to the life of a rich nobleman, you don't need me. You only felt bad for stupid old me. I was just a little 'bump' in your adventure, an experience with a poor peasant. Our love, I mean,this love, was never meant to be. You belong with beautiful, sophisticated women who know how to play instruments, cook seven-course meals, how to read! I can provide you with a simple life of boiled potatoes and bone soup, a clean home, and the knowledge that I will always stay faithful to you. That isn't much." She paused, looking down at her mud-covered toes.

She continued, "You don't have to say anything. You said everything you needed three years ago. Wealth is important to you. Love is meaningless, intangible. It doesn't always have a perfect, happy ending. It can't buy you white horses, silk and precious gems, rare truffles." She looked away, not wanting her eyes to betray her.

She turned around and ran back to her farm, wiping her face the whole way. Her parents and sisters were angry, but they had forgiven her. She had been whisked away by a charming boy.

He ran after her, his steps not calculated and careful, rather he stumbled. He spun her around forcefully.

"Ruhi. I want us to be together."

She didn't say anything, but her eyes were filled with emotion. Desire for him to continue.

"Ichiro, please, just-just leave me alone. It isn't possible."

She tried to spin around again, but Ichiro's strong hands were clasped tightly around her thin upper arms. He shook her slightly, as she looked at him uncomprehendingly. What was he doing? Hadn't be given her up?

"Ruhi. I need you. I want you. In the beginning, I only cared about myself; I only wanted to be free; I didn't care about anyone but myself. I was a stupid boy who wanted his dose of fun. I wanted to sate some wicked yearnings. Yes, I did just want a fling with a peasant girl, but as it went on, I fell in love. I fell in love with her innocent charm, her untold beauty, her intelligence, her open honesty, everything about her, and hadn't seen for years, until then, or maybe had seen, but I cared about myself too much to realize. I began to fight within myself every time I put her at risk, made her do something foolish, that she would otherwise never do. I didn't realize that everything that she did, was for me. She trusted me with her heart. Her love. I wanted to tell you so badly. Kami, why do you think I went to the town to get a job? I have never worked in my life, why would I subject myself to that? I worked for four months remember? I visited you once a week, in the cellar. Remember when her son came to visit? You had to live in the cellar, like a common rodent? Yet those were the best times, because I brought you happiness. But you were dying before my eyes - emanciated, sickly, yellow. I hurt seeing you getting so weak, bleeding, and I couldn't do a single thing. When my father's men found me at the farmer's house, he told me I could return home, to my warm silk bed, and my father would forgive me, if I just left you. I thought about it and I said that if they could find doctors for you, I would come back. The men agreed, under one condition, I had to marry a rich woman. My father wanted a marriage that would bring him honor and money. I never thought I would hurt you this badly. I guess I was so lovesick, I wanted you to get better. Anything to help you. Or just stupid. But now, I want to forget all that. I want you to understand how much I want to be with you. I want us to travel around Japan in a carriage, go to meadows and lakes. I want us to kiss, have fun, and make love. I want us to get married, buy a cottage, have children and raise them with our love, send them off to school, go on vacation, all together. I want you to be by my side. I want us to be together. Forever. I know you feel the same way. I can see it in your eyes. Didn't you yourself once say that you believed in love? Love was something that blossomed from a green bud into a beautiful rose. Well, Kami, this is love! Fate was meant to break us apart, but it isn't working!"