Chapter 10: Window-Shopping

A/N: OOC-ness prevails.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Ten:

Window-Shopping

He held her for the remainder of the night. Never bothering to change positions. He cradled her in his arms. At last, he drifted off the sleep, lying down on the cool sand, with Tohru by his side.

Tohru woke up as the sun was rising. Arms encircled around her provided warmth.

She turned to her other side and looked. Shigure!

His lips were purple.

Tohru immediately ran back to their stuff under the tree and retrieved a towel. He must have held her all night to keep her warm. All because she couldn't handle a night swim. How would Shigure think of her now—weak and feeble!

She draped the towel over his lean torso. She checked the pulse on his neck before doing something she never thought she'd do.

She kissed him. Barely though, just a peek on his left cheek.

She kissed him for a variety of reasons.

For saving her.

For keeping her warm all night.

For being so nice to her.

To give him back the warmth.

Shigure stirred. "Tohru? Are you okay?"

"Yes."

Shigure asked, pretending to be surprised, "How did we end up here? My little flower didn't tie me and drag me here, did she?"

"No. You rescued me last night. I'm sorry—I-I didn't know I was going to be that disoriented in the water. Thank you so much. For saving me."

Shigure's stomach growled. "Breakfast, shall we?"

"Okay, but we should really get dressed first. We don't we watch the sun rise first?"

"Sounds good."

Tohru was dry by now, and she put on her clothes. Shigure did the same. They sat down on the towel and watched the sun rise above the ocean. It was a sight to see. There was an island right in front of the sun, and it almost looked dreamlike, the morning clouds surrounding it made it look like it was floating. Tohru read Shigure's mind.

"The island looks like it's floating."

"Yep, it does."

After breakfast of yam porridge, they returned to their temporary shelter at the beach. We'd better get back. I have school tomorrow.

"Why don't we spend the rest of the day in the city? We can shop and eat and exercise."

Tohru's eyes lit up as she thought. After last night's chaos, maybe it'd be nice to go around the city. She hadn't been here for a while since midterms and all.

"Sounds great."

"Great, let me give Ha-san a call."

Ring.

"Ha-san? It's Shigure—"

"Where are you? I called you last night and no one answered. I drove over and no one was there. Where have you taken Tohru? Have you done anything to her?"