Chapter 54: Aftershock

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Fifty-Four:

Aftershock

Shigure stood, motionless, on the dirt path running around the lake. What had just transpired in those few moments? Before anything registered, he moved to the water and dove in.

Tears had sprung to her eyes right before she plunged into the water, but now, they were mingled with the cool water. They would leave no stains on her face. She had pinpointed her objective before she took the leap. A leap of faith. A leap of love?

A second chance?

She was giving him a second chance (or was this his third? Or fourth?... Seventh?)?

She saw, through her blurred vision, the large rock at the bottom, with the silver ribbon tied around it. She quickly got to the bottom. Lifting the rock with slight difficulty, she kicked off the ground for full speed out of the water, but she was losing energy, fast. She needed a breath of air; quick.

Her fidgeting arm scrapped along something firm. A solid chest.

Shigure put his arms around her small waist, her side touching his side, so as to not initiate the transformation, and he came to the surface quickly. Tohru coughed and sputtered, as her lungs filled with fresh air.

"What were you doing Tohru?" Shigure asked, furiously, holding her at arms length.

"I-I was getting back the bracelet that you got."

Shigure looked at her, astonishingly optimistic and with an unparalleled longing. It ached to have her so close. He wanted to kiss her and whisper apologies in her ears. A torrent of emotion swept over him as he stared at her heaving self. "So, you are willing to give me another chance?" He prayed.

"No," was her answer, short and simple. She did not forgive him, couldn't, with all those painful memories that preoccupied her mind, every day, every night. Those which overshadowed the good memories of them working together, playing together, talking. She turned her gaze away, looking at the bridge at the end of the lake.

She removed the bracelet from the rock, and thrust it into Shigure's hand. "I can't." Everything stopped, the trees were dead silent, the lake didn't ripple. His vulnerable heart nearly gave way. Those two words stung his heart, like a spider's bite. Her voice sounded so hostile to his ears. He could only blink in reply.

What's happened to the old Tohru, the one who forgave and forgot? The one who loved with all her heart. The one who was naive yet strong and tough. Please come back to me...

You hurt her! His logic mind screamed, not connecting with the longing feeling in his chest. He couldn't stand the fact that he felt so alone. As though he had been tossed carelessly onto a deserted island the size of a parking lot space. And it was his own fault for not grabbing onto the rope that dangled in front of him.

"Why?"

She did not look at him in the eyes. "Not after what you've done. You used me. I wasn't important to you. I could never forgive myself if I entered another relationship with you. I would be setting myself up for failure. I would always have painful memories." Her voice cracked.

He wanted to say, 'You don't know how I feel. So, so fucking sorry,' but he didn't. That was an understatement too; words could not describe the pain. Things would never go back to the way they used to be. She had made that clear. She apparently did not feel the same way as he did. His eyes were as hard as pebbles at his feet.