Chapter 37: Repentance

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

A/N: Enjoy! Thank you Angie.

Warning: Foul language.

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Repentance

Four days went by. Shigure was still restless and withdrawn. At two in the afternoon, he decided he was going to end this tension between them. He shot his hand up in the air and said slurred, "I'm going to save her!" He could not be alone, sitting in front of hte computer typing out smut and angst-ridden drama. He could not be without his little flower. He cared for her. He needed his muse. Her beautiful smile. Her naiveté. Her silky hair. Her honest eyes. Her colorful spirit. Her faith. Her simplicity. Her good-hearted nature.

He loved the way her eyes grew big and doe-like when he told her something surprising or intellectual. He loved the way she felt in his arms when their lips touched. He loved how she molded into the crook of his arm when they were sitting together. He loved her way she laughed when he told her a funny joke.

Now, he needed her to erase the pain inside him. He missed her so badly.

She was like a good drug.

He took a shower and brushed his teeth in an attempt to rid the stink of the alcohol and cigarettes. He put on his favorite brown yukata and walked to the nearest bus station.

He arrived in front of her school and waited on a bench near a fountain. This is where he had picked her up a few times. He saw two teenagers ravaging each other. In broad daylight.

Today's society. Tsk, tsk.

The bell rang and students poured out of the classrooms. A girl plopped herself down next to him and took out a sandwich. She dug into the sandwich like a rabid raccoon. Someone was having some stress. Shigure craned his neck in an attempt to find Tohru in the flurry. He saw her and called out. She did not turn her head. He ran up to her and touched her shoulder, "Tohru!" The girl turned and looked at him in surprise. "Excuse me?"

"Ah, sorry."

He looked around, desperate. That was when he caught sight of the pink satin ribbon. She was talking to a shy looking, bespectacled boy.

Shigure strutted toward the two people. He heard his sweet flower's voice, "When is it?"

"The study party is at seven tonight. Everyone will be there."

Absolutely not! Studying party my ass! My little flower is not going to any 'study' party to be ravaged like a common prostitute!

He stood behind Tohru with his arms crossed over his chest. The boy pressed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and gulped. "Uh, I have to go. Maybe we'll see you there?"

"Sure," Tohru said, bowing, "Thank you for asking me."

She immediately turned toward the fountain and sat down, very deep in thought. She still had not noticed Shigure. He sat down beside her and watched her.

She looked up and saw him. She gasped.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" She said, alarmed. Her lower lip quivered; she was not sure how to proceed or what to say.

"I came to pick you up."

"Pick – me up?"

No you imbecile, I came to pick four eyes up and carry him over the threshold and make love to him all night fucking long! Of course I came here to pick you up!