Chapter 44: Playing House

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

A/N: Thanks for all the nice reviews!

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Forty-Four: Playing House

Tohru heard footsteps on the stairs. She saw a leg draped over hers.

Oh no, Manabe will see us!

Tohru quickly slide Shigure onto the ground, holding his head so that it would not drop carelessly. That way, they would not look too suspicious. Or so she hoped.

"Good morning Tohru. I was wondering if you wanted to go for a jog with me."

"This is so much more comfortable than my bed…" Shigure muttered, not fully awake. The ground was soft and plush… wait, the ground? How did he get here? He cocked his head up to see Manabe and Tohru looking at him intently.

"Have you never seen a man talk in his sleep?" He huffed.

"Tohru, would you like me to help you wash dishes? I promise to wash off all the suds."

"Okay. I have to do some laundry."

"No, why don't you do something in the kitchen so we can talk." Manabe looked at her keenly.

You manipulative little bastard. You want to keep her in the kitchen? Kitchen my ass, I know what you want. It isn't a nice 'PG-rated' conversation. Shigure to the rescue!

Shigure slipped out of the hallway. "My little flower, why don't we go to the garden and check on the plants?"

"Okay."

Tohru felt confused. All the attention the men were giving her was overwhelming.

Shigure helped Tohru carry to heavy watering can to the garden, complaining the whole way about cold water sloshing on his feet. Tohru carried a basket with gardening tools.

They sat down on rocks to rest.

"Are you happy with me?" Shigure asked out of the blue. Her lips quivered. Was he not happy with there relationship? Was it too boring? A million questions filled her head.

She turned her face to him, letting him see the honesty in her eyes when she responded, "I am very happy to spend my life with you, Shigure." She displayed a cheery smile. "Are you?"

"Very."

Tohru nodded. "I'm happy that you are happy."

He chuckled. Her simple statement seemed to capture it all. He was always one for flair, drama, and excitement, but he found that simplicity was just as pleasant. He was maturing under the beautiful glow of his precious girl.

"Wifey, let's plant!"

"Yes, my h-husband." Tohru said, playing along with the game, though she did not know why Shigure called her that.

After a half-hour of silent digging, filling, weeding, Tohru looked at him. She looked at Shigure, with dirt on his nose, the sleeves of his yukata rolled up. The enigma and mystery that surrounded him had splintered, leaving a man who made her laugh, cry, and do the unthinkable.

When they returned home, Manabe was on the couch reading a book.

"What are you reading, Manabe?"

"I found this on the bookshelf: Summer-Colored Sigh. It's by Kiritani Noa."

Tohru blushed. One of Shigure's "romance" novels. Apparently, Manabe had not read to the "inappropriate, scandalous smut," as Arisa had called it. He was in for a treat.