Chapter 15: Reverie in Azure

Disclaimer: I don't own anything associated with Fruits Basket.

What does it take to set the Sohmas free after Akito's death?

The Puppet Master's Last Testament

Chapter Fifteen:

Reverie in Azure

Tohru bit into some hard shell. It nearly choked her, but she managed to dislodge it from her mouth. She coughed and sputtered like an old automobile. Shigure merely laughed.

"You wodint be lafin' if you 'ad-," but started fanning her tongue before she could continue. Shigure guessed the peppers were kicking in.

"Wadder."

Shigure thrust the glass into her hands, and she poured it all over her mouth, missing most of the cavity. Instead, it trickled down her neck, into her small cleavage. Hmmmm, Shigure thought.

She took a deep sigh. "That's the last time I'm listening to you, Shigure-kun."

Shigure picked up his chopsticks and took a delicate bite of the lobster meat. "Yum," he flaunted, sticking his tongue out at her after he finished chewing. She returned the playful gesture, wagging her tongue at him unintentionally coyly. He was thinking illicit thoughts: I want it down my throat... as he poured cold ice water down his dry throat.

Tohru ignored his happy eating, and stuck with her water and white rice.

The rest of lunch went smoothly. Shigure paid the total bill (much to Tohru's displeasure; who believed in 'equal pay') and they said their good-byes.

"The hot pot was a bit spicy for my taste, but the flavors were quite strong and… exotic," Tohru said, honestly.

Mika have Tohru a big bear hug, and said, "Come back again Tohru. Next time I'll tone down the peppers, now that I know what you like, and don't like. I'd love to talk to you sometime."

"Of course."

They got onto the bike again, and returned to the cabin. The sky was hazy and clouds were covering the blue.

Shigure took a key out of his front pocket and opened the door. A wave of damp mold and stuffiness hit their senses.

"Shigure, what do you do here during your business trips?"

"Nothing much."

Exactly right. It was a pigsty. There was paper everywhere. There were dirty yukatas on the back of chairs. Old take-out boxes. Smelly socks. Crumpled yellow paper. Soda cans.

Shigure said, "Don't worry, I'll have someone take care of it. Anyways, we won't be staying here for too long. We'll be back home before night."

"I'll clean it up."

"No, you don't have too." Shigure said, but Tohru had already started picking up the scattered articles of clothing and junk.

Idle Shigure decided to retreat into the cabin's small den and do some writing for his next book. He didn't really have any ideas, but decided it was better than cleaning. It had done enough of that when he was chained to Tohru that one day last week. Ugh.

Tohru got to work, hand-washing the clothing (yukatas and socks), dusting off the furniture, scrubbing the grimy ground, cleaning the microwave, making the bed in the only bedroom, watering the almost dead plants outside. She busied herself for the rest of the afternoon. It was hard work, but spring cleaning was definitely in favor in this cabin.

Meanwhile, Shigure slept on the couch in the den.

Tohru came in quietly and put the throw around his torso. He looked so peaceful, his long eyelashes fanned across his lightly tanned cheeks. She didn't understand how someone like 'him' could be tanned and fit. He didn't lift a pinky (unless he was at his desk, typing)!