xi. silent treatment

CHAPTER ELEVEN ─── silent treatment 

𝕶az Brekker was ignoring her and Stasiaj did not like it. Not one bit. 

If there was one thing that Stasiaj hated almost as much as boats, the sea and ropes, it was being ignored. Being a girl in a 'man's' profession meant that Stasiaj was used to being spat at, ignored and humiliated by men but somehow when the silent treatment came from Kaz, it felt worse. 

He must have thought she was stupid to not notice the way he seemed to disappear whenever she searched for him and when she did find him, he'd be in deep conversation with Inej and Jesper and suddenly 'unable to talk to her'. She thought that was all bullshit.

It was when they reached Djerholm that Stasiaj finally grew fed up with his inability to talk to her about whatever was bothering him, and she managed to corner Kaz without the others surrounding him.

"What do you want, Snake?" He asked, not meeting her eyes.

"Don't 'what do you want, Snake?' me, Bastard," She growled, growing annoyed with him not speaking to her. "You're ignoring me."

"Maybe I got tired of hearing your voice," He tried to brush past her, as Stasiaj watched him with narrowed eyes. Something was different now. There was a different feeling between them but Stasiaj couldn't place what it was or where this tension had appeared from.

Sighing, Stasiaj followed after him, stepping in front of him again as he watched her.

"If you hadn't noticed, Crow Man, we've reached Djerholm,"

"I have eyes," Stasiaj resisted the temptations to gouge his eyes out with her nails.

"You won't for long if you keep annoying me," Kaz didn't flinch at her insult. "We've reached Djerholm, which means we've got a job to do together. We can't do that if you're not going to talk, or acknowledge me."

He still didn't respond.

"Are you still embarrassed about what I said two days ago?" Kaz rolled his eyes. "Or is it about you touching me?"

"Shut up, Snake," Kaz growled and Stasiaj thanked every saint or god out there for Kaz showing emotion once more. She didn't like when he showed nothing. "I don't want to talk about it."

"I was going to say thank you," Stasiaj replied softly. "I know that was hard for you."

"You know nothing," He glared back at her, spinning around to stare down at her, his entire form trembling with something Stasiaj couldn't place. The girl took a step back, her face hardening and falling back into the expression of the Snake of the Barrel.