xliii. sweet treats

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE ─── sweet treats 

𝕴f there was one thing that Stasiaj Yahontov found to get on her nerves it was waiting around whilst the anticipation in her stomach built to a high. Already she could feel her fingers beginning to fidget, twisting the buttons of Kaz's blazer as the pair observes the dance floor.

"You're nervous," Kaz muttered, as Stasiaj turned to look up at him, admiring the sharpness of his jaw and the curve of his lips. "Tell me what you know about each of them."

"What?"

"Tell me what you know," Kaz shrugged as he watched her. "It will keep your mind off of your nerves."

"I'm not nervous, per se," Stasiaj scratched her snake's head as she finally stopped staring at Kaz. "I'm just filled with anticipation for this to begin. It has been so long since we completed our last heist together and I'm excited for another one."

He hummed, the sound almost lost amongst the chattering of the dressed up aristocracy. 

"Well, the lady over there in the incredibly ugly red dress is sleeping with her husband's stable hand," Stasiaj began, as Kaz began to walk her around the edge of the ball room. "The servants all know about it, but the husband is oblivious because...Can you guess what?"

"I don't know,"

"He's sleeping with the same stable hand," Stasiaj found a grin forming on her face as Kaz shot her a look from the corner of his eyes. "I know. Poor stable hand. Imagine having to deal with that fat lump next to you."

"Stasiaj..." She raised an eyebrow at Kaz's call of her name. "He gambles in one of the clubs so I've heard that story before."

"Give me a second to think of another one," Kaz nodded, before Stasiaj leant slightly closer to him and angled her fan at another man. "That there is the Dean of the university. He has an illegitimate son with one of the students despite already having a wife."

"Really?"

"Yes," Stasiaj bowed her head as they passed some elders. "They covered it up rather quickly."

"I can imagine," Kaz stopped them at the refreshment table to allow Stasiaj to pick up some of the rich food scattered around, the cost of which could feed whole families in the Barrel. "Is that real gold?"

"Edible gold, yes," Stasiaj passed Kaz her plate to hold as she took dainty bites from one of the chocolate concoctions, filled with salted caramel, that melted in her mouth. "I forget that you don't go to many events like this."