xvi. little vipers

CHAPTER SIXTEEN ─── little vipers 

𝕿he complex relationship that Stasiaj Yahontov had with the sea was much like Kaz Brekker had with touch. Somedays, she could deal with the rocking of the waves and the smell of brine, but others, the fear left Stasiaj as a shell of herself.

But for the remainder of that trip, they ploughed through the waves with no hinderance, and Stasiaj even managed to find herself on deck for part of the voyage, which was nothing short of a miracle.

"We are here," Stasiaj looked up from the prow of the ship, turning her head to see Kaz coming towards her. "Back in Ketterdam."

"Back home," Stasiaj corrected him carefully, before nodding and smiling. "I have never been so happy to see that smog filled city."

"Fjerda not to your liking?" Kaz asked, leaning beside her as they drew closer.

"It was nice, but it wasn't home," Stasiaj turned to him with a smile. "There was too much ice and snow and not enough smog and blood."

"Not enough smog and blood?" Kaz cocked an eyebrow at her. "We just completed the heist of the century and you're complaining that there was not enough smog and blood? Was the bombs and tank not enough for you?"

"Well, they were fun," Stasiaj replied, drumming her hand against the railing. "But I missed my home and my vipers and holding information over people. You can't truly do that in a place that does not fear your name."

He stopped her from drumming her fingers, trapping her hand beneath the railing and his own leather-clad one as she turned to look at him in surprise, brown eyes wide. Kaz watched her, and Stasiaj was reminded of Nina's words again. He's constantly surprised that you choose to look at him. 

"You're nervous," She hummed at his words, scrunching her nose up in protest.

"I don't know what the meaning of the word is," Stasiaj replied, but Kaz rolled his eyes and squeezed her hand gently. The teenager could feel him supressing small tremors, her heart swelling as she realised that he was pushing back his fears for her.

"You're worried about going back into Ketterdam and finding that someone's taken your spot," Kaz replied. "I know you too well. You were drumming your fingers again."

"I hate you," She muttered but Kaz took no notice of her words, knowing them to be lies. They fell into a comfortable silence, before Stasiaj began to speak again. "You have the security of knowing that Per Haskell is keeping your position safe. I have no one. I'm my own boss and this means that if someone tries to make my spot, they could. Quite easily."