xvii. double crossed

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ─── double crossed 

𝕿he dawn was grey, the sea flat and glassy as Stasiaj sat beside Kaz on the small schooner that was taking them towards Vellgeluk.

"How is she?" Jesper spoke ahead of the pair, his fingers drumming against the 

"Weak," said the Fjerdan. "She's been unable to sleep. But we got her to take some broth, and she seems to be keeping it down."

"Where's the other longboat?" Stasiaj fiddled with one of the gem hair pieces, making sure the dagger wasn't digging into her head, as Kaz sent her a quick glance.

"Repairs," said Kaz. Stasiaj smiled at him, before giving his cane a good natured kick, her way of saying good luck as they got closer to the island.

Vellgeluk was so flat it was barely visible once they were rowing through the water. The island was less than a mile wide, a barren patch of sand and rock distinguished only by the wrecked foundation of an old tower used by the Council of Tides. Smugglers called it Vellgeluk, 'good luck', because of the paintings still visible around the base of what would have been the obelisk tower: golden circles meant to represent coins, symbols of favour from Ghezen, the god of industry and commerce. 

Stasiaj had never been to it as it was of no use to her. She dealt with information, not petty business deals like Kaz did.

When their longboat made shore, Stasiaj shuffled forward, over the seats, accepting Jesper's hand to get out of the boat.

"My Lady," The girl laughed, lifting her dress as she stepped up and over the edge of the boat, jumping onto the sand.

"Why thank you, kind sir," Jesper held his arm out, as Stasiaj and he trudged up the beach after Kaz, Inej, Matthias and Kuwei. "I'll make a bet with you."

"Oh yes?" He raised an eyebrow. Stasiaj did know that she was swindling Jesper out of his money, but it was amusing.

"I bet that something goes wrong," He reached his other hand out and the pair shook on it, before catching sight of Kaz's glare and whistling casually.

"You two are not subtle," Inej murmured.

"Crow Man can get over himself," Stasiaj replied, as the trio began to giggle.

"All right," Kaz said. "Let's go get rich."

"No mourners," Rotty said, settling down to wait with the longboat.