Episode 28 (D) Hearts Aside

Merrick and Princess Shayla had just finished their song for the Deer Zord. Satisfied with their morning routine, the Deer peacefully walked away towards the mountains, leaving the two alone. The tension between the pair was palpable. Princess Shayla tentatively tried to start the conversation.

"Thank you, Merrick," she said, "after our talk last night... I wasn't sure you would show up today."

"You promised the Deer Zord we'd play for it every morning, so here I am," Merrick replied curtly, stuffing his flute into his jacket. Princess Shayla didn't know what to say, unsure how to respond to his rudeness.

"The entire Animarium hears this song, everyone knows you and I are out here, alone. What does that say about us? When I storm away from Lila when she needs us both, but return in the morning to sing with you?" The words were spilling out of Merrick's mouth faster than he could stop them.

"I think it means that you're feeling guilty about us singing together, but I don't quite know why. You and I have always played for the Deer Zord, even before Lila passed," she said, trying to both understand, and reason with him at once.

"You and I both know it's more complicated than that. I'm still in breach of my duties by being here with you like this. I failed in my role as your protector the second I started to care for you."

"Is that what's gotten you so upset?" she wizened up to Merrick's concern. "You don't want Lila to find out about us?"

"Well, how would you feel?" Merrick's frustration was mounting, "to wake up, in the future, and discover your partner and your closest friend had a relationship after you were gone?" His frustration immediately turned inward, blaming himself for the outburst of emotions he had just unleashed on her. It was a tad harsh, but it was true.

The Princess understood now. She too had been dreading what they would say to Lila, how they could possible explain this and not tear her heart out at the same time. She remembered well how shattered Merrick had been from Lila's death. He had been numb for months, then suddenly retreated from everyone, citing his need to be alone where his grief would finally rupture and engulf him. She spent years helping him put himself back together again until eventually, loved bloomed where hearts had once been broken. Princess Shayla took Merrick by the arms, more forcefully than he was used to her being.

"Please, don't punish yourself for healing after your loss. Don't punish yourself for moving on! You've been incredibly honest with me and we must give Lila the same courtesy. Remember, she knows where her heart lies, because everything still feels the same for her. Lila still loves you, maybe, you need to figure out if loving her back is something you want..."

It pained her to say it, but oddly, she felt a slight relief as well. Princess Shayla was still somewhat holding on to rekindling what her and Merrick once had, but he'd stood by what he had said when he had first seen the Princess, and had not continued their relationship, only admired her from afar. There was something there, or there used to be, but it was not easy to have hope when their sweet moments were few and far between, and when Merrick would then use them to fuel his shame towards himself.

Merrick already knew they would have to be honest with Lila but needed to hear it specifically from the Princess first, almost as if seeking permission. He had prepared himself for the worst when he had left last night, convincing himself that the two girls would have spent their night trading their feelings for him. They'd be so overcome with jealously, that they'd turn on one another, leaving Merrick to drown in the guilt of single-handedly ruining their friendship. This obviously, had not happened. He was feeling a bit foolish to think that Lila and the Princess would fall out over him, like he would matter enough to cause that.