Chapter 19

I lie awake. The ceiling crisp and even, not like the peeling chipped paint on mine where I used to stay. I clench my fists, taking a handful of the bedsheets. I'm not cold either, not like I usually have been.

I hear a door slam somewhere down the hall, followed by a hushed "shit!" I find myself smiling, Levi was so odd. I glance over at the flashing red numbers of the digital clock on my bedside table. 3:42 am. It fells like the world was sleeping, except for me and my buzzing thoughts and Levi slamming doors.

I take in a deep breath and close my eyes. It was Saturday morning, I didn't have course thank god. I just needed a day to lie around and do nothing. I can't help but lwt my mind wonder what Levi would have planned, surely he did things in the weekends. That's when I realised I don't really know him at all.

Why am I here?

After what happened with Duane I shouldn't be able to trust anyone ever again, so why do I trust him? Why am I lying in his home staring up at the ceiling and feeling safe.

My head starts to throb and I climb out of the bed, I walk towards the kitchen on the mission for a glass of cold water. I just need to stop overthinking, Levi is nice to me. I trust him because he would never hurt anyone.

The tiles of the kitchen floor are cold against my bare feet and they send a shiver up my spine. I open the cupboard and the fridge,  getting the large jug of water. I start to fill the glass and as I do my mind starts to buzz again. How do I know he won't hurt anyone? Wasn't I just saying how I don't even know him?

"Hey, I hope I didn't wake you." I yell out, dropping the my glass and having it smash on the floor. I spin around.

"Oh my god, Levi I'm so sorry. You gave me such a fright." He's already on the ground with a cloth wiping up the water before I finish my sentence. I crouch down, picking up the shards of broken glass. His face is red.

He starts to ramble, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to check I didn't wake you. It's early and I was slamming doors-"

"Don't worry about it, I was already awake." I smile at him and stand up, a handful of glass shards. I notice his cheeks flush and he rises too.

"Here, I'll get rid of the glass." He reaches out his palms and I hand it to him. He leaves the room quickly and I watch him go.

Levi is a good guy, but I don't know how much longer I'll be staying here. I hate being a burden, stepping on other people's toes and dragging them down. Levi comes back into the room and runs a hand through his hair with a crooked smile.

"Sorry about your glass."

"Nah, it's okay. I didn't like that one anyway." I laugh and he drops his hand from his head. "If I didnt wake you, can I ask what were you doing up?"

"Oh, just reading." I lie "what about you?" I ask quickly changing the subject. 

"Just talking to a friend overseas. Different timezones suck." I agree and we stand in an awkward silence for a moment. "Are you going to go back to bed? Or do you want to do something? There's no course tomorrow, so unless you are already doing something in the morning would you wanna go out?" Before I can answer he catches himself, going a bright shade of crimson. "Uh, not like 'go out' go out, unless like-"

"I'd love to." I say, smiling at him. "Hit the town, I mean. Lets go to a club or something, yeah?" He grins at me.

"Okay, cool. Cool. Give me a sec and we'll go. Yeah?"

"Yeah. Okay. I should probably get changed too." He glances down at my nightgown for a split second before nodding and dashing back into his room, clicking the door shut behind him.

There's something about Levi that makes me happy. His goofy attitude and slight awkwardness make me happy. It helps me distance him from Damien, which isn't a bad thing. I move into the room I'm staying in and try to find something suitable to wear. Looking through my bag I see I only have clothes for school, lazy days and my erm. . . job. The only thing I see suitable for a club is my work dresses, though they are skanky they are the nicest outfits I have at the moment. Hopefully I'll have enough money soon to get a better wardrobe. I pull on the dress, quickly touch up my makeup and step out of the room.

I settled on a short black dress, the back is made up of multiple crisscrossing straps, it's short in the leg falling at my upper thigh and it's sleeveless. My dark hair is pulled over my shoulders and I'm wearing some black heels.

Levi is sitting on the couch waiting for me and when I emerge he stands up. His eyes widen when he sees me and he opens his mouth, as if to say something.

"Woah. You look, woah." I smile at him.

"Thanks, should we head out?"

"Uh... yeah. Yeah." He says seemingly tearing his eyes off of me and heading for the door. "Lets go."