Chapter 9

"Stop it!" I scream. Duane is holding Lexi by her hair, dangling her in the air. Lexi is screaming in pain, unable to use her legs to stand up and unable to get Duane off her. "Let her go!" I run up to Duane and start hitting him. He shoves me away, sending me flying back across the floor.
"Quinn!" Lexi cries, reaching out for me. She is grasping the hair around her scalp, trying to stop the pain. I groan, pressing myself up despite my throbbing head.
"Duane, why are you doing this? It's me you want. Leave Lexi alone." Duane laughs, pulling a carving knife out of his pocket. The blade is long and slim, glinting in the artificial lights. He holds it up to my best friends throat. She lets out a small whimper, closing her eyes as to say she accepts her fate.
"You said we could be together as soon as I killed Lexi." Duane says, pressing the blade against the skin on her throat.
"Please Duane. I didn't mean to say that." I hesitate, thinking of what to say to make him leave her alone "We can be together anyway, just don't hurt her." Duane's eyes scrutinise me and he drops Lexi, she lets out a tortured cry as she falls on her broken legs. He walks over to me and brings his face close to mine.
"Say it again." He hisses. I can smell the stench of stale alcohol on his breath. It sickens me.
"We can be together without hurting Lexi. We can forget all this ever happened. I promise." His face is nonchalant, all but the exception of his eyes still scrutinising me. His face expression suddenly relaxes and he brings a hand to my face. He gently rubs his thumb over my cheek.
"I'm sorry I hurt you." He whispers tenderly. "I didn't mean to ever do this to you." I glance over at Lexi. She is sobbing and holding her injured legs. I can't imagine how much pain she is in. I swallow the bile rising in my throat as he touches me. I fight back the urge to slap him away.
"Are you going to let us go?" I ask, afraid of the answer. He smiles, and I fell like I might pass out.
"I can't." My heart falls, and I am almost sick. He's not going to let us go. "I can't let Lexi live. You said she needed to die for us to be together. You said-"
"I know what I said!" I scream. Everything falls silent and Duane's face turns red and angry. "No, no, no I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" his hand collides with my face, snapping my head to the side. Pain erupts in my cheek, and tears brim in my eyes. I wipe them away and see Duane crouching over Lexi. She is lying on her back, her face towards me. Duane is on top of her pinning her down, and holding the blade to her throat. Lexis face is expressionless, her eyes empty.
"He can't hurt me anymore Quinn." She says.
"No. No, Duane stop!"
"I'll be with Harley." I scramble to my feet.
"I'm sorry Quinn." She whispers. Duane slides the blade across her throat and I scream.
•••••
He pins me against the concrete wall as I cry. Lexis body lies motionless in the corner, a smile on her pale face. She wanted to die. A sob echoes from my soul as Duane kisses my neck. I shudder.
"You said you wanted this." He whispers into my hair. I sob again, trying to push him away. It's useless. It's so useless. Lexi is dead because of me. Harley is dead because of me. Damien and Cassandra broke up because of me. Everyone would be happier if I was gone. Maybe I deserve to be locked down here with a psychopath, that way I can't fuck up anymore.
"I never wanted anyone to get hurt." I say, tears slipping from my eyes.
"Those were just stepping stones." His hands grope my chest. They are covered in Lexis blood and leave two red hand prints.
"Please, just let me go." He laughs to himself, trailing the blade of his knife up my thigh gently.
"And why would I want to do that?"
"If you really care about me like you say you do, you'll let me go."
"You'll never feel the same way about me unless I make you."
"I want to be with you," I lie "I just don't want people to get hurt." He smiles slyly.
"Then why are you cringing away when I touch you?" I stare up into his eyes. I need to make him believe I want him. I need to make him think I care. It's my only hope. I wrap my hands around his neck and bring his lips to mine. He is shocked and unresponsive at first, then he relaxes and moves his lips against mine. He pushes closer against me, our bodies presses firmly together. His hands find the hem of my shirt and start to lift it above my head. His tongue massages against mine and I try not to vomit. He pulls his mouth away from mine as he lifts my shirt above my head. He gazes at my body for a moment before locking his eyes with mine.
"Show me that you want this."
•••••
Duane is lying down behind me. His arm wrapped around my torso, holding me close. I am wide awake, utterly disgusted with myself. I can't believe I let him touch me, but it is my only hope. I feel him stir behind me. His hands skim from across my stomach to my lower back. I feel him rubbing his fingers gently across my skin.
"I know you're awake." He says quietly. "Turn around." I roll over so I'm facing him. He kisses my forehead. I don't respond to the contact, I feel numb. "I'm glad we did that. You're so beautiful." I give him my best fake smile. His eyes scan my naked body once more. He wraps his foot with mine so they are intertwined. He edges closer to me. Before he can kiss me I rest my head against his chest. I feel an arm snake around my waist and pull my closer against him. I close my eyes, feelings strangely comforted. The only other person who has held me like that is Damien. I wonder if he has tried to contact me. I wonder if he misses me. I wrap my arm around Duane, imagining the muscular body next to me belongs to Damien. The only thing that has kept me going has been Lexi and memories. I stopped any hope of recovery when Harley died. Now that Lexi is gone, all I have left of my past is in my head. I let out a small sigh. Duane mistakes it as a sigh of content.
"Do you want to come into the house?" My head snaps up and I stare at Duane in disbelief. "Don't get to exited. We are in the middle of nowhere remember, you still can't escape. We are days away from civilisation."
"Can I shower?" I ask hopefully. He nods. And I smile. I haven't showered in weeks. I feel disgusting.
"I just want to warn you. If you try to escape I will find you and send you back down here. Don't forget, I have connections back in the cities. You still have your family and friends to worry about." My stomach clenches.
"Are you threatening me?"
"I trust you. Don't betray my trust." He stands up, reaching a hand down to me. I take it and he pulls me up. I go to pick up my clothes and he stops me. "You won't need them." He says. I feel my blood turn to ice. He laughs and leads me up the basement steps.