Chapter 8

Harley's body jolts with the impact, he slowly looks down noticing the point of the knife that's sticking out of his chest. He coughs, spraying blood on Lexi. Duane viciously yanks the knife out of Harley's chest, and flicks the blood onto the ground. Harley looks back up at Lexi once more before falling backwards. I am frozen on the spot. Unable to move. Unable to respond. Unable to do anything but watch. Lexi cries out and leans over Harley. She is holding his face, resting her forehead on his and begging him to wake up.
"Harley. Baby. Wake up. Don't leave me again. Please don't leave me again." Duane looks over at me, a smirk on his face. Disgust fills my veins and I snap out of my trance. I storm over to him.
"You bastard!" I shout. I hit him in the chest repetitively. He doesn't even act like he notices. "You killed him! You're going to go to hell for that! You bastard!" I stop hitting him and start bawling my eyes out. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me against his chest.
"Shhhh. It's ok. Everything's going to be ok." He soothes. I viciously yank myself out of his hold.
"How dare you touch me!" Lexi has her had on Harley's chest, trying to smother the wound. It's no use, the blood just pools out the back and onto the floor beneath him. Duane turns without another word and walks out of the room. I run over to Lexi and crouch by her side. She doesn't even act like she acknowledges me.
"Lexi. It's not working-"
"Shutup Quinn! Just shutup! I wouldn't even be here right now if it wasn't for you! So just stop!" I slide away from her, shocked by her words.
"How can you say that?" I am horrified that my best friend could say something so hurtful.
"It's true! Harley said that Duane only wanted you! I'm only here because Duane wants you! Harley is dead! I probably will be next! All because of you!" I stand up.
"Do you think I meant for this to happen Lexi? It's not my fault some psycho likes me! Just back off Lexi! It's not my fault!" Tears flow down her face and she wipes Harley's blood off her cheek.
"Yes." She says "yes it is."
•••••
Its been roughly two days since Duane stabbed Harley. Its hard to tell the time down here. Lexi hasn't left Harley's side. I am crouching in the very far corner of the basement, as far away from the stairs as possible. I am so hungry and thirsty. I am guessing its been about a week since we have been here and three days since we have eaten and drank. Harley once brought us food. Now I'm guessing he snuck it. He can't do that anymore though. Lexi hasn't spoken a word to me. Only whispers to Harley. Begging him to wake up. Begging him not to leave her again. It's almost as if she doesn't realise he is dead. I think she is in denial. Almost as if she has read my mind Lexi finally speaks to me.
"I know he is gone Quinn. I saw the light leave his eyes." She sighs. "I already lost him once. I can't believe I lost him again."
"I know, I'm sorry-"
"No. You don't know. You can't even begin to understand." She snaps at me. "You didn't even know he existed. Not until, not until-" her sentence cuts off and she starts crying again.
"You never mentioned him-"
"You never cared. All we did together was stupid shit, and that was just to fill the hole Harley left behind. I couldn't tell you. You wouldn't have seen me the same." I swallow a lump in my throat, surprised my body can still even make saliva.
"Lex, you're my best friend. Nothing you can say will make me see you differently."
"I'm sorry I was such an ass the other day. It's not your fault we are here. I was just upset-" I interrupt her.
"No. You are right. It is my fault we are here, so I will try my best to get us out."