Chapter 13

I drive down the road, tears flooding down my face. I just left Damien to die. Oh god. I'm a horrible person. I squeeze my eyes shut. No. Now you think back on it you think you could have done so thing different, but in the moment, when everything turns to shit. You can't really do anything. I open my eyes, the tears have sort of cleared making the road less blurry. It's a fairly straight abandoned dirt road leading to god knows where. I take in a shuddery breath. My life is so fucked. So so fucked. I press harder on the gas pedal. I need to get wherever this road leads, and fast. The faster I reach civilisation, the faster I can get help for Damien. The sooner people will know about what happened. The sooner people can know about Lexi. Harley. Oh god. A bubble forms in my chest, getting bigger and bigger threatening to explode me from the inside out. I never got to grieve for them. Never got to mourn for my dead best friend. The tears pour viciously now, and my entire body jolts as I sob. I know I need to get a grip. I can't drive while crying, I've heard the stories. I bite down on my lip, my hands quivering as I grip tighter on the steering wheel.
Common Quinn
Get a grip
I grit my teeth and try to focus forward. Try to see what's at the end of the dirt road, but I was to busy looking forward I missed the shiny thing in the corner of my eye. There was a pop sound and then the car started screeching as metal pulled along the dirt and stones. What the fuck? I climb out of the car and everything inside me shatters as I see the right back tire has popped. I swear and hit the car with the back of my hand. I pop the boot and search it for a spare. Nothing. I lean against the car, my heart and hope shattered. Must have been a nail. I gaze out into the emptiness of what seemed to be desert. A moment catches my eye. A wild dog of some sort. It's eyes stare into mine and it bares it's teeth at me momentarily before turning and running off into the desert. Leaving now seems like a good idea, I don't want to wait for it to come back with its buddies. I gaze solemnly back at Damien's car before trudging down the path.