Chapter 7

"What do you mean broken?" I say, her legs can't be broken. She can't get medical care down here.
"They broke when Duane threw me down the stairs."
"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"
"I just thought I was being weak, but now I know it's something more." My eyes are as wide as dinner plates and I run a hand through my hair. I stand up and swear, kicking a small steel bucket.
"I need to get you help Lexi. Your legs won't heal right if we can't get you a doctor."
"It's ok, I'll just keep them straight..."
"You and I both know that wont fully work. We need to get you in a cast. I'm going to try and get their attention." I point up, showing I mean the people in the house.
"Please, don't do anything stupid Quinn." I nod and start walking up the stairs. Before I know it I am standing underneath the trap door. I bring my fist up and start banging on it, trying to get someones attention.
"Hey!" I shout "Hey!" The trapdoor is quickly flung open and the same man that kidnapped me is standing there.
"Shut up you stupid girl, don't make me do something I'll regret."
"Please help. Lexi's legs are broken." The brief wave of worry covers the mans face. He quickly hides it.
"How?" It's more of a demand than a command.
"Duane threw her down the stairs?" I stare up into his eyes, trying to look into his intentions.
"Fuck! He promised no one would get hurt-"
"Duane?" I cut him off. His eyebrows knit together and he frowns.
"How do you know about that?"
"Duane is Lexis boyfriend." His face is masked with confusion and sadness.
"I knew it..." The sentence trails off.
"What?" He stands up.
"Don't worry about it." Then he slams the trapdoor back down into my face. I turn around and walk back down to Lexi. Nothing here makes any sense.
•••••
I was siting in the basement with Lexi when the door opened. I heard the stairs creek as the person walked down. I started to panic. What if its Duane? what if he tries to hurt Lexi again? Duane was soon standing at the bottom of the stairs. I shot to my feet, standing in front of my wounded friend in an attempt to protect her from the man who hurt her.
"What the fuck do you want?" I growl. I know I sound pathetic, I'm exhausted and malnourished. So is Lexi.
"That's not a nice way to speak to your host." He seems so casual, I wish he wouldn't be so casual. He steps forward and I step back, spreading out my arms in front of Lexi. I hear her start to sob behind me. "I've come down here to talk to you Quinn." He says. Why would he want to talk to me? My arms waver briefly, but I quickly regain my composure and put them firm again.
"About what?"
"Come over here and let's talk privately." I glance down at my immobile friend then back at him. I shake my head.
"No. I'm not leaving Lexi. What you say to me you can say in front of her." He smiles knowingly.
"I think it's best we talk in private. We don't want to hurt her anymore than she already is. I mean, this was your idea." I hear my friend gasp and shuffle back, trying to get away from me.
"Is that true Quinn?" I turn to her.
"No. I have no idea what he is on about. Don't believe him Lex." She furrows her eyebrows in distrust.
"No..." Duane begins with terrifying confidence "I vividly recall you saying in the bar for me to kill Lexi and we could be together." My eyes widen. Oh god. I did say that.
"I wasn't serious!" I cry "you're a psycho!"
"What about that night at your house. When you let me touch you." He steps closer towards me. "Don't tell me you didn't feel anything between us." I hear Lexi sob.
"Oh god." She mumbles. Burying her face in her hands. "No, no, no, it can't be true."
"Duane I told you it was a mistake. We didn't even go all the way." Before I can react he has shoved me against a wall. The force pushes the oxygen from my lungs up and out of my throat. I gasp for air. He touches my face gently.
"You would have though." I shove him off me.
"Don't touch me you freak!" I scream. He slaps me across the face, the force causing me to fall onto the ground. The pain is excruciating. I let out a small cry as I touch my tender cheek. He storms over to Lexi. I stagger to my feet, my vision blurring. God, he is strong. I manage to regain my balance and I see him already over by her. He is staring at me, his eyes flaming red.
"I'm doing this for you!" He screams at me. He lifts up his foot and Lexi screams as he brings it down on her broken leg. He repeatedly slams it down, each time the sickening thud ringing through the air. I scream clutching my ears, hoping he will stop. Tears are flowing down her face as she cries out. Her bottom lip quivers and her broken sobs break my heart.
"Stop hurting her! Stop it!" Another man bursts down the stairs. It's the same guy who kidnapped me. I guess these two are the ones running this whole thing, but what's in it for him? The black haired guys eyes darken as he looks at Duane.
"You bastard! You promised you wouldn't hurt her!" Lexi is petrified, her face tear streaked and dirty. She stares up at the black haired man in horror.
"Harley?" Lexi manages to say. My eyes widen. They know each other? Harley walks over to Duane and punches him in the face. Hard. Duane slams into the wall and slides to the ground. Harley crouched next to Lexi.
"He promised he wouldn't hurt you." He wraps his arms around and pulls her close to his chest. She starts crying into him.
"I thought I wouldn't see you again after you left to Vietnam. They said you had died. Oh my god, I can't believe you're alive. You were gone for six years." Hold right up. Who is this guy? He began talking.
"I was taken as a prisoner of war. I managed to finally escape along with three other men. When I got back the first thing I did was get a ticket home. I went straight to your house. Duane was there. I thought he was your new partner, I thought you had moved on from me. Then he said if I wanted to see you again I had to do things for him. One of those kidnapping Quinn. He said you would be safe if I did. He promised he wouldn't hurt you. He said he just wanted Quinn." Lexi was crying even more. "I'm so sorry. I'm so fucking sorry. He said he would kill you if I didn't. I couldn't let you get hurt. I care about you too much. Proposing to you was the best thing I ever did." In that instant I realised how little I really knew about Lexi. I have only known her for two years, and we never have ever had really deep talks about our past. I didn't even know she was married. I snapped back to reality as I noticed Duane standing over Harley and Lexi. He was holding something shiny.
Oh no.
Before I could cry out a warning, Duane stabbed the knife through Harley's back, and straight into his heart.