Chapter 28

"You thought you could just escape from me?" His shadow casts over me, darkness falling on my face as I raise a hand above my head.
"Please, don't..." My face stings where he cut my cheek, and my leg is bleeding where he stabbed my thigh. I can't feel it yet but I know it's deep. I scuffle backwards along the concrete floor of the basement. The basement where Lexi and lost her fight.
"You're mine, Quinn. Do you hear me?"
"Duane... please.." His eyes are filled with fire. The same fire that used to burn inside of me had died a longtime ago. "Everything was going back to normal. Why can't you just let me be. I want to live. I want to be happy again."
"You killed them."
"No.." the word is so quiet I almost don't hear it.
"They were your friends and you killed them. They are dead because of you."
"No!" I'm screaming now. Over and over, the same plea of denial. "No! No! Stop, no!"
"Wake up, Quinn." Duane's face swirls into Levis.

My eyes open and I fling myself upright. He is holding the sides of my face, rubbing tears away from eyes.
"It was a dream. You were dreaming. It's okay. You're okay."
"Levi, he's going to come back for me." I'm out of breath and my throat feels so dry.
"He's not. I won't let him hurt you. "
"I need to go to the moruge. I need to know."
"Okay, but I'm going with you." He kisses me really hard. "I'm going with you."
•••••
The morgue was so quiet. A man with dark eyes and pale skin frowned down at me.
"So, he's not here?"
"No, I'm sorry. We haven't had any bodies named Duane with the wounds you described."
My mouth is dry and my head spins. I turn and leave the moruge without saying anything else, I feel Levi run after me into the carpark. He grabs my shoulder and I spin around, he skids into my chest and I don't even realise I'm crying.
"He's alive. He's going to get me. He's not going to stop."
"I won't let him." He takes my face in his hands and looks down at me with sincere eyes.
"He's going to hurt you too."
"No. I'll kill him before he lays another hand on you." I don't say anything else, but I know his promise is one he cannot keep. "I love you, Quinn. Okay? I love you." His eyes still stare into mine. "I love you more than anything,  and I won't let him hurt you ever again." I still don't say anything. "Quinn?"
"I love you too." He smiles. "No, you don't understand. I love you, Levi. I haven't let myself love anything for a long time. But I love you."
Then he's kissing me.