Chapter 17

School is harder the next day.

Facing Levi after yesterday was incredibly awkward, and Fay and Alex seem to pick up on the awkward air between us.

The three of us are sitting at a table outside, our books covering the wood. An uncomfortable silence is hovering around us. I pretend to study, but my mind is too busy with thoughts to focus on anything. Fay leans over to me and whispers into my ear so only I can hear.

"Did you fuck Levi or something?" My eyes widen in shock.

"No! No god no! Does it seem like I did?" She laughs lightly.

"No, don't worry. It's just awkward and it's obvious he digs you."

Alex looks up from his workbook at us.

"What are you two whispering about?"

"Nothing." I say quickly. I cringe as I realise how desperate that sounded.

"Oh my god! You did fuck him didn't you?" Fay exclaims loudly. Alex's eyes seem to pop out of his head and Levi looks up at us. Fay looks at Levi.

"Did you fuck, Quinn?" his face goes bright red in shock and embarrassment. That seems to be conformation to Fay and she lets out an excited squeal. "Oh my god. You guys are so cute!"

"No, Fay. We didn't-" Levi stutters. Embarrassed I grab my books and stuff them into my bag. I leave the table hastily and walk quickly inside of the school. I don't hear someone follow me. I turn down the hall and twist into the female bathroom which is luckily empty. I walk to the sink, drop my bag down to the floor with a thud and look at myself in the mirror.
Why did Fay have to make such a big deal out of that?

Unwelcome tears start to flow down my face as only partially suppressed memories roll into my mind. Duane. Damien. My job. Lexi.

The door to the bathroom opens and I look to see Levi. His face is one of shock as he sees my tears.

"Quinn, are you okay?" I let out a stuttery breath and lean over the sink in defeat. Levi enters the bathroom and stands next to me, his hand comfortingly on my back.

"Fay always jumps to conclusions like that. I'm sorry if she upset you."

"Levi-" I say standing up straight to look him in the eye. "I've had a horrible past, and I am still trying to deal with what happened to me. I'm sorry if I'm emotional or over dramatic, it's just things are hard for me at the moment and I'm just trying to move on from this point in my life." he nods.

"Where are you living?"

"A place I would be ashamed to take people too." I say, my head hanging low in shame.

"Look, come stay with me until you get back on your feet. I have the space, and I know what it's like to be struggling. You can stay rent free, it'll be nice to have company." My eyes widen in shock.

"Are you serious?" he nods and I let out a gasp of disbelief. I step forward and wrap my arms around his neck, silent tears of happiness running down my cheeks. "You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you so much Levi. You've helped me so much." suddenly my throat fills with venom and I let go of Levi. I step back and see Damien. My throat closes up and I blink hard. When I open my eyes Levi is standing in front of me again. "Thankyou." I say quietly "now get out of the girls bathroom you pervert." I gently hit his arm and he smiles playfully. "I'll meet you out there in a sec." He says goodbye and leaves the bathroom. I stand in the cold tiled room alone, 4 words ringing in my mind.
What have I done?