Don't

After school, we all meet up to walk to detention. Rose Summer and I had been there plenty of times, but Honey looked uneasy. Jones seemed unfazed, her mind somewhere else. As we walked into the gym for detention, boxes of decorations covered the floor. 

     "All right students! Since the student council needs a few extra hands, for detention you'll help set up the gym for our Valentine's Day Dance!" A teacher announced. She was young with ginger hair and seemed very sweet. One by one, she assigned everyone tasks. Jones and I were in charge of hanging up posters around the school. 

    We were handed a stack of posters and a roll of tape each. A member of student council joined us. He seemed very annoyed by our presence. I ignored his rude comments and just focused on putting posters on the wall. Jones kept putting the posters upside down, causing the student council kid to yell at her. Jones found this amusing and continued to put the posters up wrong. 

   The dance would be on Friday. I wondered if Honey had any one to go with? I wondered if she would want to go with me. We'd have to get dresses, I don't have money. And I'd have to pick her up, I don't have a car. We'd have to dance, I don't dance. We'd- 

   "You're making the posters crooked!" A nasally voice yelled. This time, it was directed at me. I had forgotten about the posters and had put them up tilted. I undid the tape and tried again. Jones helped me, instead of doing her own work. 

    "What's wrong dude?" Jones whispered in my ear, startling me. 

    "Nothing." I whispered back.

    "You're a shit liar." Jones walked away from me, dropping all her posters on top of the student council kid. 

    "Hey!" He chased after her, but Jones quickly ran into the girl's bathroom. "You can't do that!" He yelled. Jones laughed in response. 

   I thought about what Jones said. Not the liar part, I'm a pretty good liar, I hope. What was wrong? I was sweating and my heart was pounding. Did I want to ask Honey out that bad? I told myself that I'll ask Rose Summer about it, but now I had to focus on my work. 

   When we eventually finished hanging up the posters, we returned to the gym. The student council kid complained to the teacher about Jones, Jones simply denied all the claims. The gym was decorated in red and pink. Heart shaped balloons filled the roof of the gym. Honey and Rose Summer were hanging a poster over the back of the gym. I walked over to them, determined. 

-----------------------------------author's note-------------------------------------------

Word count: 450

The next few chapters will be pretty short, and I'm going to try to write them all today and post them one day at a time, but chapter 19 and beyond will start to get a lil longer or just more story.