Promised

When we finally got to the school, the parking lot was filled. Jones let us head inside while she tried to find a place to park. Even though I'd seen the decorations before, it still looked magical in the darkened lighting. A DJ played up-beat pop music. Teens staggered around the gym awkwardly. Those who were confident enough to dance (if you'd call swaying slightly dancing) were being watched by the teachers incase someone got to close to another. 

      I was so hypnotized by the environment I didn't notice Jones walk up behind me.

      "Boo." Jones whispered into my ear.

       My heart stopped for a second before I realized it was only Jones. I hit her.

       "Aw, not even a little scream?" Jones looked down, jokingly sad. If she wanted me to scream, she was already setting herself up for failure. I rarely screamed. 

      "Let's leave these two love birds alone, Jonesy" Rose Summer grabbed Jones hand and walked off to the dance floor. Rose Summer was the only one actually dancing, Jones simply swayed besides her.  

      A slow song started to play. Honey grabbed my arm, "Would you like to dance?" I simply nodded and she lead me over to the dance floor. More kids started to gather around, placing their arms around their partner's neck or hips. I grew more nervous as Honey placed her arms around my neck. I awkwardly put my arms around her hips. I touched a little too low for comfort. I threw my arms up, Honey laughed. She pressed her head against my chest. I was so distracted I hardly noticed Daniel walk up to Jones. The sound of yelling was drowned out by the music, if only I had better ears.

    "Rue?" Honey looked up at me. 

    "Yeah?" I wrapped my arms around her waist.

    "You look gorgeous." Honey smiled

      I blushed, "Not as pretty as you."

      We stared at each other for a while, following the swaying motion of the other kids around us. Right then, was the most embarrassing and amazing moment of my life. I wanted to ask Honey to be my girlfriend. 

     "H-h" The words wouldn't leave my mouth

      Honey looked up at me, we stopped swaying. We laughed. We laughed so loud the other kids gave us weird expressions. I promised myself I'll ask her later. 

     "You're laugh" Honey breathily exclaimed, "Is like a sudden symphony" 

      I hardly knew what symphony meant. It was the best compliment I've ever received, solely because she said it. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I wish I did. I wish I looked behind me to see Daniel leave the gym. I wish I looked to the right to notice Jones crying. Yet, I also wished I held Honey in my arms just a little longer. But the song ended. And everything had ended. Everything had just started.

     Honey and I left the dance floor, to a less occupied corner. She tripped on the way there. We laughed. We laughed for so long, it felt like the world was paused. All that mattered was the sound of her laughter. Her beautiful laughter, filling my ears and heart. I felt at home near her. Everything was okay. I could hardly breath. Yet, I didn't miss the air in my lungs. All I wanted was to laugh with her. To enjoy her laughter, the way she snorted, her body giving into the laughter. I held her up. However, my body was giving in to. We sat on the floor and laughed at nothing and everything.

     I hardly noticed the whispers from people around us. Even if I did, I doubt I'd care. I had Honey. Honey had me. What more could I need?

-----------------------------author's note------------------------------------

Words: 622

  I had so many things I wanted to name this- also, I don't know why, but the language arts lesson on contradictory statements and I just ran with iT-