part 17

Dec rested his head on Ants shoulder as the two of them appreciated the calmness and tranquility of the sun setting over the horizon,neither of them wishing to move from that spot as darkness fell and the ocean was gently lit up by shimmering moonlight.

"So peaceful" Ant whispered.

"Yeah" Dec agreed "it's beautiful"

Ant nodded silently as he stared out to sea.

He always secretly loved it when Dec rested his head on his shoulder like this,it made him feel the bond between the two of them so strongly and he knew that Dec felt the same way.

It was such a simple gesture,but it signified a close,unbreakable bond that they'd always shared and knew they always would,no matter what life threw at them.

"Love ya Decs" Ant smiled,turning his head slightly to plant a small,sweet kiss on Decs forehead.

"Right back at ya" Dec sighed contentedly.

Ant suddenly sat bolt upright,causing Dec to fall backwards onto the sand.

"Hey" he complained "I was comfortable there"

"Dec look" Ant ordered "I saw something"

Ant stood up and hurriedly made his way to the edge of the sea,peering out intently.

Dec followed him,trying desperately to ignore how tired he was.

"What?" Dec yawned,as he stood beside Ant,not sure what he was supposed to be looking at.

"I KNEW IT" Ant suddenly shouted "I BLOODY WELL KNEW I SAW SOMETHING"

"What?" Dec repeated.

"THERE" Ant stated loudly,pointing out into the darkness "look Dec,there's a light"

Dec screwed his eyes up,trying desperately to see what Ant was looking at.

"I SEE IT" he stated excitedly "Ant I can see it,what is it?is it a boat?a ship?"

"It must be" Ant grinned "it won't be a bloody spaceship"

"HELP,HELP" Dec shouted,while waving his arms furiously in the air.

"They're not going to hear you from here are they?" Ant pointed out "quick...the flares"

The boys ran over to the shelter to retrieve the flares they'd had little opportunity to use over the last few weeks.

"Set it off" Dec ordered,as they returned to the beach.

"What do you think I'm trying to do?" Ant muttered as he fumbled with the piece of equipment that might just be their saviour.

The light out to sea was getting more and more distant,but it was still there and that was all that mattered.

Ant soon managed to let off the flare and he and Dec stared into the sky as it was lit up like a firework display on the fourth of July.

"Are they coming back?" Dec asked as he stared,hardly blinking,out at the spot where the light had been seen.

"Give them a chance" Ant laughed "it's literally been about thirty seconds since I set off the flare"

"Do you think they saw it?" Dec asked.

"Of course they did" Ant answered confidently.

Ant and Dec sat down on the beach,watching carefully for any sign of their potential rescuers.

They waited...

And waited...

And waited.

"They're not coming back are they?" Dec said sadly "they couldn't have seen the flare"