Part 4: Chapter 3

We took him down to an old tunneling system that was untouched by both humans and lycans alike. "Come on, we have to keep moving," David grunted out as Selene and I carried him.

"There are safe houses far closer than this," Selene commented as she struggled with David's weight.

"No, not anymore," I tell her as I tighten my grip on David, causing him to flinch.

"Careful there love." He tells me half-heartedly me.

"Sorry," I tell him before looking back at my sister. "We told you. They destroyed them."

"It's different now, come on." David finishes for me while he limps his way down the tunnel.

Once we got him into the safe house, I turned on all of the security measures and sat David down on the medical table while Selene looked for the scanner. Once I sat him down, he took off his shirt so that we could get a better look at the wound. Once his shirt was off, I couldn't help but stare at him. I guess he saw me staring and began to chuckle. I scoffed "What is it that you find so funny, David?" I asked him before taking a closer look at his wound to see if I could figure out why he wasn't able to heal.

He gently cupped my chin in his hand, making me look into his dark brown eyes."After the time we have been together, you would think you would get used to seeing me without a covering." He tells me with a painful smile.

I heard the beep of the scanner and moved out of Selene's way. She gently placed her hand on his wound causing him to grunt. "Try to stay still," she tells him as she places the scanner above his wound.

As she looked at the scanner, her face showed how confused she was. "What is it?" David asked her.

"It's some sort of bullet." She tells him looking at the scanner. "It's burrowing through you faster than you can heal '' She takes a screenshot of the bullet and shows it to us. "It's self-propelled."

"That's what we were trying to tell you." David comments. "These lycans are sophisticated." He tells her as she looks for a scalpel or blade to cut it out.

I gently forced him to lay down and gripped his hand. "I don't know if I can remove it in time." She tells us.

"Well the least you can do is attempt to sound reassuring." He gripped my hand and looked at her.

"I'm going to attempt to try and not to kill you." Selene grips the blade.

"That will have to do" David jokes and looks at me as she begins to cut into him. Every time he grunted from the pain, I gripped his hand in reassurance. He kept grunting until the oversized bullet was out of him.

Once it was out, I kissed him gently before letting go of his hand and pulling Selene to the side. "Selene, I'm sorry for snapping at you back in the tunnel." I apologized.

"No, I shouldn't have told you to get out of this war. I should have known better." I smiled at her and hugged her tightly before beginning to pack for the trip ahead of us.

As I was packing, I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my waist. "Your worried face is showing," David tells me.

"No, it's not." I continued to pack the guns only to have one taken out of my hands.

"Yes, it is. You scrunch your eyebrows together when you're worried about something," He swipes his finger down the bridge of my nose. I sighed and leaned into him. "Please, love, try not to worry," he tells me before kissing my forehead. "It'll all work out in the end." I smile at his words before leaning in to kiss him only to be interrupted by the intruder alert.