50

[ 2 days later ]

Y/N's POV

Tony had offered for us to move in to his Malibu Mansion as the compound got destroyed. The rest of the team had to look into who caused this and why. I was sat in the warm bath trailing my fingertips along the water, everyone else could tell me and Steve weren't the same since the accident. I hear the bathroom door opening from behind me but I didn't pay much attention to it. I had my arms curled up around my knees against my chest. Steve kneeled down onto the ground trailing his hand down my back.

Steve: "I made you something to eat"

I turn my head to look at Steve, my puffy eyes meeting his.

Y/N: "Tell me they have some good news"

Steve shook his head throwing his head down. I press my lips together looking away as I shake my head in denial. I didn't believe James was gone just like that, I didn't want to believe it. I put my hands on the edge of the bathtub to pick myself up.

Y/N: "Right well, I'll get back to work then. James needs us, we need to help him"

Steve puts his hands on mine to stop me from standing up.

Steve: "You haven't eaten or slept in two days, you need to stop y/n or you're going to make yourself sick"

Y/N: "I don't need to eat and sleep, I need to find James. Clearly none of you are doing a good job at that"

Steve: "That's not fair, y/n"

Y/N: "What Steve? Why are you all acting like he's dead? Like he's gone?! He's not dead, he's not gone!"

I shout in panic but my voice instantly breaks, I throw my head down squinting my eyes shut, I just let the tears flow down my cheeks. Steve tried to hold back his tears because he hated crying in front of me, he took a sharp inhalation before draining the water from the tub. Without saying anything he just bathed me. He got me out once he was done and wrapped a white towel around my body. He dressed me in one of his oversized shirts and just laid me on the bed against his chest. He knew I just needed to be held. He hummed to me softly and my eyelids felt so heavy I needed to close them for a little while, and just like that I fell asleep.

-

I woke up on the bed alone, Steve wasn't here. I sat up on the bed throwing my face in my palms. Wishing and hoping this was all just a terrible dream, but it wasn't. It was reality. Once the door opened I noticed Nat walking in. She was holding the crystal ball of magic in her arms. My magic. My body shot up from the bed walking towards her.

Y/N: "How did you- I thought it got destroyed.."

Nat: "Greg mentioned the crystal ball cannot break, no matter what you do with it. When the compound exploded and the building came crashing down I found it on the ground, I didn't hesitate and just grabbed it"

She passes the ball to me and I just hold it, glaring at the magic glowing inside.

Nat: "Oh and-"

I look up at her as she dug her hand into her back pocket. She pulled out the necklace, my necklace. My eyes instantly started tearing up, another valuable thing I thought I lost.

Y/N: "Nat-"

Nat: "You don't need to say anything, I did what I had to do, I know how much it means to you"

I held the necklace in my hand, I just thought of James.

Y/N: "You don't think he's-"

Nat shurgs.